Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Help!!! Please!!!

EvenFlow

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig luna is in such bad shape. She cant walk right without rolling over on her back, she just started having a seizure and looks really close to death, no vets around here are open, and the emergency vets dont do guinea pigs. It really scares me thinking about how shes gonna make it through the night. Please what do I do??

PSUPiggies

Cavy Slave
Found this on another forum on the site... sending prayers and happy piggy thoughts your way. *hugs*

Sick Pig? Need help right away?
Get to a Vet NOW!

Guinea pigs (or cavies) are somewhat fragile and illnesses can debilitate them quickly, often within one day. In advance, find a vet who knows a lot about guinea pigs and how to treat them, because a delay in proper care can be fatal.

Guinea pigs are prey animals, and as such, instinctually mask their symptoms to prevent being cut from the herd and left to die. By the time YOU NOTICE something wrong, your guinea pig has likely already been sick for a couple of weeks. You usually have no time at all to waste in seeking proper treatment.

For EMERGENCY medical information, visit this page:
Guinea Lynx Emergency Medical Guide.

For EMERGENCY medical help on the internet,
visit the related Emergency and Medical Forum
on the Guinea Lynx Forums.
You'll need to register to post there.

DO NOT ASSUME that ANY vet can or will or should see your guinea pig. The average cat and/or dog vet has little to no experience or knowledge of guinea pigs.

For help in finding COMPETENT guinea pig VET see:
Finding a Vet.

For other health and care info,
BOOKMARK THIS SITE: GuineaLynx.Info

Do not rely on this forum for immediate and even proper care info. It is not moderated for that and that is not the purpose of this forum or site.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
EvenFlow, unfortunately I've been through the same with a couple of different pigs. The results were not good. If there is no emergency vet open or none that sees pigs, there's not much you can do but keep a close eye on the pig. I'm sorry but it doesn't look good at this stage. How close are the seizures coming?

Do not rely on this forum for immediate and even proper care info. It is not moderated for that and that is not the purpose of this forum or site.
Excuse me, don't mean to sound rude here, but if you are meaning THIS site, where do you come off saying that? This site has a medical section because there are knowledgeable people here when it comes to medical problems in pigs. Everything on this site is under moderation, meaning that any of us moderators will most likely see any given thread. In fact, notification of all new threads in ALL major forum sections come to my email. Who are you also to say what the purpose of this forum or site is? You are a newcomer to this site so you may want to take a look around. We cover quite a bit more than just housing.

Last edited:

PSUPiggies

Cavy Slave
Ly&Pigs: I pasted that DIRECTLY from the medical forum on this site. I was just trying to get info to EvenFlow quickly. I wrote my ONE LINE at the top and put a divider to signify what I was 'inserting'. Sorry to 'insult' you or anyone else on here. I was just trying to help.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Ly, I think PSUPiggies copied the message from this page: (broken link removed)

EvenFlow

Cavy Slave
well, thanks everybody, she died in my arms tonight. It was really sad, her playmate started grooming her and licking her while she was dying, she even layed down right next to her. I just hope she doesnt get depressed now.

SnowPrincess

Cavy Slave
So sorry for your loss.

lissie

Cavy Slave
EvenFlow, I am so sorry for your loss.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
EvenFlow, my sincerest condolences on your loss. Going through it myself, it's not easy to deal with or to watch.

PSU, I wasn't even aware that was over on GPH. That forum is not so much moderated for medical advice. I am a mod there as well as here but I rarely get over there because this forum keeps me pretty busy. Please accept my apology. I was not insulted. I also apologize if I sounded rude as that was not my intent. I know you were trying to help.

xoLauraox09

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss.

frillint

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss. I would advise you to consider taking your other pig into the vet to make sure it don't get or doesn't have what the one did. I am so so sorry for your loss. It is very hard I know.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry. Poor little Luna. It was so sudden. But it is probably good that she did not linger--it sounds bad what she had. I agree with frillint that you should take her cagemate to the vet for a good check. I would also suggest cleaning the cage and all its accoutrements thoroughly in case it was something bacterial.
I hope that before long you can adopt a companion for your grieving pig.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I am so very sorry for your loss. R.I.P.

LightningPig1

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss EvenFlow. I bet she was a wonderful little piggie. I don't know if you knew this but in Latin Luna means moon!

EvenFlow

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much everybody, it has been hard, but I know she always loved me. She always seemed like she felt really secure with me. I was the only human she trusted...She was a very shy piggy. I loved her so much though. I hate that it happened at night when no one could've helped her. It all happend so fast and immediate. It was sad watching her tryin to walk and holding her while she died. I named her Luna because she had this black cresent shape on her face onto her ear which reminded me of the moon. She was a peruvian mixed with an abby, she showed more peruvian traits. Long hair, soft fur that grow really fast. I"ll post a pic of her in a minute to show you guys.

EvenFlow

Cavy Slave
Atleast she didnt die alone is what I keep thinking. I was there for her, as was her playmate. Her playmate seems kinda scared today like she thinks we killed her. Its sad. She still eats normally though, and has been acting normally other then a little more paranoid.

Ted&Ham

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry. Luna already sounds like a wonderful and loving piggy. Please accept my condolences for Luna.

R.I.P. Luna

Katrinah

Cavy Slave
So very sorry for your loss.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.