Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Safe woods for hutches

nonose95

Cavy Slave
I am getting a pair of Guinea Pigs soon and wanted to build them an outdoor hutch, I was wondering if anyone knows what type of wood is safe and where to get it? I live in Melbouirne too, if that helps

It doesn't matter what kind of wood you would use since outdoor housing is unsafe all by itself.

GPs are small, prey animals that do not handle extremes in temperature or temperature/weather changes well. They need to be indoors, with you, so they can be comfortable, safe from predators and threats, and where you can watch over them and they will have the benefit of your company.

Living outside is lonely, boring and risky for small animals.

You will find this link informative https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...7-i-am-building-outdoor-guinea-pig-hutch.html

Here are some more threads about the dangers of outdoor housing
Dangers of Outdoor Housing
Summer is Coming. Should You House Your GP Outside?
Outdoor vs Indoor
UK GP housed outside dies of heatstroke
GPs stolen from outdoor cage
2 GPs in outdoor cage killed by dog (on Animal Precinct)
HAWK, drops guinea pig in someone's yard
Violent thugs batter family pets to death
Thread about people breaking into outdoor hutches and sheds
2 guinea pigs stolen from outdoor shed
Guinea pig attacked by rats in shed
Magpies attacking GPs in their outdoor hutches
4 GPs dead. Cause is a suspected mouse infestation in shed and garden
Ant infested yard and hutches
Warning for those keeping animals outside
Guinea pigs stolen from "Cavy Sanctuary"
(broken link removed)
More Guinea pigs die of heatstroke
Guinea Pig Killed by Cat
Guinea Pigs Being Attacked by Cat
Rabbit Hutch Repeatedly attacked by Bears
5 year old GP stolen from outdoor hutch
(broken link removed) Pig stolen from outdoor shed
Guinea pig killed by Dog

The guinea pigs will not be in their hutch all year round, it would be for days when the weather is good, plus, in Australia, and particularly in Melbourne the weather never gets too extreme and if it did they would of course be inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
And just to add to VJ's post, Melbourne's weather hits too many extremes...too hot in summer, too cold in winter (even now, the nights are starting to dip below 10C). Hutches do not provide enough shelter from these extremes. The predators that are around in Melbourne can be pretty nasty too, wild cats, dogs, foxes and sadly, human predators (there HAVE been reported cases of people breaking into strangers yards and killing animals they have found there)

The Melbourne branch of the 'Australian Cavy Sanctuary' does not adopt out to people who will keep them outdoors for these reasons. Yes there IS a a rescue here

(broken link removed)

She currently has 24 cavies up for adoption. Please read through the links VJ provided, look through the care guide on Guinea Lynx and GPC and please, please don't hesitate to ask questions here. We'll always be willing you give you more localised help (no offense to members in the US, but conditions here are a lot different and we do have to edit the care guide somewhat for what we have available here).

Just to add on, ACS has many piggies not even listed for adoption. Give Simone or Leeane a email and they will be more than happy to help you. Sometimes they even have C&C Cages for sale!

Keeping pigs outside in Victoria is far too dangerous. Not only is our weather so extreme and erratic it cause me health issue, but what about the fox problem we have? Feral cats?

What I want to know if this where they going to live 24/7 or it is just for sometime outside like a few hours aday type thing? Piggies should not be keep outside unless they are watched.

Why can't you keep the guinea pigs indoors? If you can't I don't advise you to get any.

My Guinea Pigs will obviously not be living outside all the time; this hutch will be for when the weather is good. The hutch itself will be under our pergola which only lets in 20% heat in summer, so they won’t get hot. Our own dog stops any predators getting in our yard, and there will be a small fence around the hutch to stop the dog getting at it.

Yes, 'Aertyn' i am fully aware that ACS adopts Guinea Pigs out as I am in correspondence with the owner of the Melbourne shelter in regards to volunteer work. It also says on their website: "Lawn hutches are not recommended due to Melbourne's extreme temperatures between winter and summer, unless your lawn hutch is extraordinary." This is my reasoning behind building one.Which brings me back to my original question - What woods are safe for Guinea Pigs?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's for supervised, outside play-time you will find many good examples of wood grazing pens in the gallery. Unless the outside enclosure allows the pigs to safely graze then I don't see the point in putting them outside. If you wish for them to have fresh air then you can open a window.

Putting them outside with no further purpose then having them be outside seems silly. It puts them at risk from not only animals predators but human ones as well along with spiders, insects and other parasites. Storms can sweep in suddenly and even under an overhang they are subject to wind and blown rain and debris. You would never be able to leave the property when they were outside and it would be foolish to not keep a close watch on them.

If you plan on building a grazing pen then you have a lot of wood choices as long as the wood is untreated, unpainted/stained. I'm not certain what kinds of woods are common in Australia but here in the States pine is a popular choice.

Keep in mind that no type of wood is good for a floor as they are all porous and will absorb urine, feces and harbor mold and bacteria--another good reason not to house outdoors. A grazing pen doesn't need a floor anyway.

A small fence around the hutch won't keep out predators like racoons or stray cats. Don't forget that people can also come around to either steal or harm the guinea pig. Please don't think that this is not a danger because we have too many examples telling about how vandals came around and either killed or stole guinea pigs right out of the hutch.

You have no way of predicting what kind of weather will suddenly come up. Too many stories have surfaced of pigs dying of either heat stroke or a sudden cold snap.

Also, with pigs being outside, it's difficult to keep a close eye on any changes in behavior due to illness or injury.

Pigs are prey animals. In an outdoor hutch, if an animal does approach and tries to get in, the pigs have nowhere to run to. They are "sitting ducks" in a matter of speaking.

I know you said it would be only in nice weather but it doesn't take long for a hungry animal to get into a hutch and make quick work of your pig.

I did a pick up of an "owner give up" guinea pig that lived in a hutch with its cagemate. During the night, a predator got into the hutch and killed the cagemate. The second guinea pig was so traumatized, it ended up having to live in a special needs home because it never fully recovered. A guinea pig taken outside in a pen to graze even needs constant supervision. It only takes a split second for a hawk or dog to get into the pen and kill them.

I did a pick up of an "owner give up" guinea pig that lived in a hutch with its cagemate. During the night, a predator got into the hutch and killed the cagemate. The second guinea pig was so traumatized, it ended up having to live in a special needs home because it never fully recovered. A guinea pig taken outside in a pen to graze even needs constant supervision. It only takes a split second for a hawk or dog to get into the pen and kill them.

Plus, Victoria has huge fox issue, and they are very very vicious.

I am fairly certain pine should be easy enough to source.. thanks VodooJoint.
Snow Princess - I don't know what area of Victoria you live in, but I have grown up here (Melbourne) my entire life, and never seen a fox nor heard of a fox attack, plus my house is bordered by a 6 foot fence which is very hard to get over.
I can not house them inside all day everyday, as people in my house have allergies, and I don't feel that we have a spot big enough for them all the time.

The guinea pigs will not be in their hutch all year round, it would be for days when the weather is good, plus, in Australia, and particularly in Melbourne the weather never gets too extreme and if it did they would of course be inside.

Unless you were living under a rock, I'm sure that you would agree that Melbourne's recent storms would be considered "extreme" weather. I don't think your average guinea pig would be much against several falling golf ball-sized hailstones.
I'm not sure if you remember, but that day started off with fine weather and the storms were very all of a sudden. What if you went out in the morning and weren't coming home till late, your pigs would be stuck outside and absolutely terrified.

In Britain we don't have creatures anywhere near as dangerous as you guys, yet we always had Magpie eyeing up our piggies when we were out there with them. In fact a dog even attacked and killed my brothers piggy and my Mum when she was out there with them one day. Since then we havn't ever let piggies outside even supervised. I wouldn't advise them going outside at all!

Please don't get a pig if you're going to keep him outside.

In Britain we don't have creatures anywhere near as dangerous as you guys, yet we always had Magpie eyeing up our piggies when we were out there with them. In fact a dog even attacked and killed my brothers piggy and my Mum when she was out there with them one day. Since then we havn't ever let piggies outside even supervised. I wouldn't advise them going outside at all!
I agree that you have to be extremely vigilant when your pigs our outside, but I don't agree with your pigs never going outside at all. It's nice for them to get some sunshine once in a while (just like humans, but of course do provide shade) and the fresh grass is good for their health (as long it is suitable for pigs).

It is ironic that the original poster is concerned about safe woods but not the inherent unsafety of keeping pigs outdoors in a hutch unsupervised and overnight.
Independently of the outdoors question, I think a hutch is a bad type of housing for piggies. Even if absolute safety from predators could be guaranteed (impossible unless it is indoors), a hutch is too enclosed and will almost certainly get damp from weather and from piggie pee. It seems like an ideal environment for respiratory infections.

Since you plan to have them inside 'sometimes', why not just create a nice indoor cage and get some extra grids to make a simple portable outdoor pen for when you are outside and can supervise the piggies outside on the lawn?

I agree that you have to be extremely vigilant when your pigs our outside, but I don't agree with your pigs never going outside at all. It's nice for them to get some sunshine once in a while (just like humans, but of course do provide shade) and the fresh grass is good for their health (as long it is suitable for pigs).

You are right - I just get so worried and paranoid now, maybe once we have treated our lawn got rid of weeds and its free on chemicals I might consider it. I just don't think I could deal very well with a dog attack! They do however, get sunlight, fresh air in the room they are in, and I am growing grass for them, so they don't miss out too much. I'm just an over protective Mummy I guess!

I am currently working on convincing my parents to let me house them inside permently, but this may not be possible. Of course -Chrisandpiggers - if we went out on a day where a storm warning or extreme weather warning was given, they would be inside.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.