Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Meet the new member of the family!! :D

loveforlife!

Cavy Slave
I know I said I was going out to get 2 but I decided to get 1 tame/train him then introduce a 2nd one in a few months!

I havent completely decided on a name but I know I want it to be a multi sex name because hes[?] a bit to young to really tell the age. The woman was guessing male. PLEASE give me some name ideas if you think of any!

Hes about 3 months and was born sometime in December so just because I wanted to be original and pick a random date so his birthday will be December 15.

Also about the cage. Its horrible for me 2 but right now mom isnt letting me build a C+C cage intill I hold up to my promise of keeping the cage/room clean. But once I can build one it will be a 3x3 :) My last guinea pig had a 2x4 C+C.

Meet the new member of the family!! :D

He has anouther white spot on the other side its like a white square. Ill get better pictures once he starts roaming around a bit. He looks so fat when hes scrunched up like that he so cute!

Meet the new member of the family!! :D

Awh he is a little cutie!
Where did you get him?
Emmm....I can't think of a name right now but I'll be back!:cool:

Awww he/she is so cute. well what about...
munchkin! lol sorry, I can't really think of any names right now! hehe

Oh my, so cute! If you had a c&c cage before, where is it?

No name is jumping to mind right now. You can google "guinea pig names", that is always fun.

Archie
Autumn
Bambi ( I like that one! )
Benny
Bailey
Beanie
Beauty
Benny
Biscuit
Billie Jo
Bingo
Binney
Booboo
Buddy
Buddy Love
Butterfinger
:D

Cute pig but at 3 months you should definitely be able to tell the gender. You can sex them at birth.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by training your pig before getting him or her a friend? They are usually more social when they have a guinea pig buddy.

It's also going to be much harder to keep that cage clean then a C&C esp. if you're using fleece. You'd need to change it more.

When I gave my other pig to my friend, I gave her the cage as well because she wanted to keep her in a store bought cage, which I couldnt let her do. I never thought id be getting anouther piggy.

Lol I like the name bambi its cute. Ill keep it in mind! Throw out what ever ideas you have! :)

I got them from the local pet store [the kennel shop] Ive gotten almost all my pets there [besides my cats/horse]. Its been a tradition really.

Ill look up how to tell the gender again, and ill give it a shot.

Adorable piggie.

Don't get another until you know how to sex them. If this is a female, and she was kept with other pigs, she's very likely expecting and you may soon have more than you know how to handle. It happens all the time to people who buy from pet shops.

Please don't get another from a pet shop, particularly one where they know so little about guinea pig care they don't even know how to sex them. Getting another from this shop encourages them to keep breeding more, and breeding is very dangerous for the guinea pigs, especially when the owners aren't knowledgeable.

How terrible.

You rehome your pig then get a new one at a pet shop.

It's a tradition to support backyard breeders, breeding mills and the pet overpopulation problem??

Theres no breeders around here so my option is getting them from the pet store. Which ive always trusted this pet store. All my pigs/birds ive gotten from them have been 100% healthy.

But I have gone through that type of dilemma with hamsters. So ill keep an eye out either way.

No one said breeder. This forum is pro rescue and adoption. Breeders are terrible too.

I rehomed my pig quite I believe about a year ago.

Dont lecture me about the petstore thing, please. Ive read about it, I know.

Apparently you don't though.

You can definitely tell the gender of a pig at 3m old. It sounds to me like you'd best have a vet tell you the gender before you get another pig. And yes, this one could be pregnant if your pet store wasn't even able to tell you the sex of the pig. I know that the Petsmart stores that we have only carry one gender of any animal in their stores. One Petsmart carries all females, the other Petsmart across town carries all males. I saw a video on youtube about a 4 week piggy that was pregnant because she wasn't taken away from her father....she had 8 babies. Poor little thing.

Enough about the pet store thing. Im not going to argue with people about where I got my guinea pig. I understand where your coming from but still.

Petsmart claims to carry only one gender but they still missex pigs and they do not guarantee the gender of any pig you buy.

Chances are the pigs were not separated correctly or in time at the breeder mill either way.

Im really not to worried about it.

Did you try craigslist or searching for rescue pigs or search/call all the shelters in your area? Don't worry, I don't lecture about pet stores for my own reasons. I just searched craigslist for my area just out of curiosity and there are 4 postings for piggies just in the past 4 days. 2 of the people found out their child is terribly allergic after getting the pig(s), 1 person said their child doesn't play with it anymore, and the other didn't list a reason. There are many reasons people give them up. So if you do end up getting a friend for your piggy, definitely give these options a try :) Plus, ask your pet store that you buy from where they obtain their animals from just so you have that knowledge.

Actually yes, yesterday I looked on craigslist and nothing showed up only a GP cage. So I did put the pet store thing into thought. Our shelter is also a good hour away and my mom wasnt up to traveling an hour for a GP.

Im deffinately going to be getting my piggy a friend in a future. Ill ask the pet store the next time I go and get food. Thats deffinately a good thing to know.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.