Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lethargy Can the heat be the cause?

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
Gizzy has been a bit lethargic over the last couple of days and I was wondering if it could be the heat?

She has:
1 Cool tiles
2 Fan on
3 Ice cubes in her water
4 Frozen packs all over the cage

She is:
1 Not warm to the touch (not more than before)
2 Eating with vigor
3 Playing with me
4 Wheeking

However we have been having days in the region of 104 to 113 Farhenheit (40 to 45 Celcius) and the humidity has been nearly 100% every single day!!

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
If it's hot and humid then the ice packs help with the temperature but not with the humidity. Remember she's got a fur coat on too.

Make sure you weigh her frequently to make sure she's getting enough food and water.

My cats would lay around alllllllll day when it was that hot then be bouncing off the wall at night when it cooled off.

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
Make sure you weigh her frequently to make sure she's getting enough food and water.

Her weight has been going up slowly but steady. I cut her hair about a month ago and it seems just as long as it was before I cut it so I think I will give her another shorter trim before the summer really starts! (Its only spring now so you can imagine what February is going to be like here!!!)

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I know you probably love your piggies long hair but it may help to keep it quite short, like an american that may help her keep cool.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
I agree with Frankie. My Mother-in-law shaves their large dog, Bandit, in the the summer time to help him keep cool.

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
A nice rainfall last night helped to break the humidity and by the time I got home Gizzy was all "smiles" and ready to play! I will still cut her hair short before the summer really starts - it is not that I do not like her with short hair (hair grows I could care less) but she is not very fond of a haircut that takes too long to do.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
I use my husband's shaver/clipper thing to buzz Hugo's butt since his fur is much longer there and gets dragged around and dirty, or gets glued together by the other guys (yuck!). It goes much quicker than using scissors. He got glued on his chin the yesterday and I had to shave his beard all the way down.

The end on the right side of the photo. I remove the black shield when I need to cut really close.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.