Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Got Stephen a buddie, now what?

Just making it clear: the cages are ugly, not the piggies

Neutering will not decrease fighting.

I'd strongly recommend that you build a cage - if cubes are not available, closet shelving probably is - you need to get the kind with wire close enough together so that kitties cannot get their paws through. You have a better chance of them not fighting if you have a cage with one big uninterrupted floor space than you do with two cages hitched together somehow, because they won't have an opportunity to pin each other into a corner. It's also better for them to be able to run laps uninterrupted.

It's really beautiful, but I need something I can hang, you know. Putting a lid on won't make any difference, since they put their paws in and grab the piggies through the grids. And when I say hang, I mean REALLY high, because they manage to jump on it ad grab them anyway...

Why not put a large shelf on the wall really high up with two poles at the edge of the shelf that go back to the ground? Like make a ledge and at the end of the ledge have two poles that go back to the ground for stability... that would make getting to the guineapigs harder though. Is there not a room in the house that you can separate them from the cats? Or double the grids to make the holes too hard for paws to go through?

Catayn, if your cats are like my last two, you can't hang the cage high enough to keep them out and still be able to reach in it and get to the GPs or clean it. One of my cats routinely leaped to a 5.5 foot high window sill, and could probably have gone higher.

I made my cage out of closet shelving, which could easily be covered with screen mesh to keep the kitty paws out. It comes in a roll, isn't too expensive, cuts easily, and can be zip-tied to the cage sides and lid(s). It also comes in a metal version, which is more expensive and requires more work to keep the GPs from injuring themselves on it, but which is more durable when exposed to cat claws.

Good luck with finding something that works!

Ahn, just as curiosity: The piggies you have seem much, much bigger than the ones we have here. When I took Stephen to the vet I asked him and he said he wasn't going to get any bigger and that he would keep like that, as well as Scott. And they are about 70 or 80 grams each. As mine are thi first piggies I ever saw (they are not vey common around here. They showed up after that movie with piggies) I have no idea if that's right... Not trying to justify myself here, but, if they are indeed smaller, can't they be in a smaller cage? I mean, not as small as mine, but smaller than one that would take my whole living room?

Ahn, just as curiosity: The piggies you have seem much, much bigger than the ones we have here. When I took Stephen to the vet I asked him and he said he wasn't going to get any bigger and that he would keep like that, as well as Scott. And they are about 70 or 80 grams each. As mine are thi first piggies I ever saw (they are not vey common around here. They showed up after that movie with piggies) I have no idea if that's right... Not trying to justify myself here, but, if they are indeed smaller, can't they be in a smaller cage? I mean, not as small as mine, but smaller than one that would take my whole living room?

Are you sure these are guinea pigs and not some kind of hamster or something? My cell phone weighs more than that.

Are you sure you have the weight right?

If that is right, they would be only a few hours old/ newborns.

Do you have a kitchen scale?

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Mine are eight weeks old tomorrow, not very big, and weigh about 1.25 pounds (they hate the scale, so I haven't been able to get an accurate weight). That's right at 567 grams, so if I were you, I'd question that 70-80 gram weight.

Do you have any pictures of them?

While awaiting a response to see if we're talking about the right animal ;) ...

Maine coon cats are absolutely beautiful (my grandparents had one when I was younger and, while I still bear a scar on my arm, I was madly in love with that huge, fluffy boy) and I think it was wise to point out what breed you have considering the cage situation...

I think the person that suggested buying screen mesh is brilliant, and that was an excellent suggestion and possible remedy and should help you to get a suitable cage set up, without having to hang it! Someone mentioned that kitties will find a way to get what they want, and they were right. I don't think it matters how high the cage is hung, if they want it, they'll get it.

I have 3 cats and my cage is in my living room and sits about 20 inches off the floor. I also have a barrier going around the inside perimeter of the cage to keep poops in and paws out. While two of the cats have no interest in the pig, one does, so I've been working on training him to leave the pigs alone. Maine coons are known to be very intelligent, so perhaps some training will keep them from wanting to get at the pigs?

I'm not sure what sort of building materials you have available, and I know you said you don't have the kind of cubes we're talking about, but I'm sure if you look through the cage galleries, you will see a variety of different materials used to build a proper sized cage! I love the gallery because I can actually see what people are talking about instead of having to figure out a description in my head.

Also, I don't think having two cages together is going to be as beneficial as having a cage similar to what we use. Like what was mentioned, closet shelving is another brilliant solution to your problem!

I think having a look at the cage galleries will really benefit you and maybe you would be able to find similar materials to make your cage out of. Couldn't hurt! :eek:ptimist:

OK, I kind of managed to solve the cage matter. Their new home will be ready in acouple of weeks (it'll cost like a third of my monthly salary, but OK...) It will also be really cat proof (3 locks and nets all around it)
About their size, my avatar is Stephen and I am pretty sure they're piggies. I have hamsters ^^
I also thought it was odd, but I am not really a piggie expert, if you know what I mean, rs
The vet weighed them because the scale I have at home didn't show anything, because they're too light. They are about 15 centimeters. Stephen is a month and a half old and Scott is 4 weeks old.
How can I post their pics here?

[quote
How can I post their pics here?[/quote]
There is a little paperclip button that you click (it is right beside the font settings when you reply) and it allows you to attach images from your computer.

Shouldn't the pigs still be with their mom at four weeks? I could be wrong.
NO - they can impregnate their mom at three weeks and must be removed by then.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.