Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Shavings Is it OK to use Aspen Bedding?

yaqcubper

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I have two boars and a 2x4 C&C cage. I was using a sort of paper-made bedding before but it was not very convincing and the biggest bag hardly made the min. 2 inch height of bedding that my cavies need. I found this very large bag of Aspen wood shavings that will cover much more and possibly last a couple of full cage cleanings but am not sure if this is safe to use.

I know not to use pine (unless its kiln-dried) or cedar but..what about Aspen?

Thanks!

I use aspen in my loft, it's pretty good, but it's not too absorbant. Why don't you try fleece? I think it's a sticky in the bedding section. I have fleece for a 2x6 and trust me it saves a whole lot of moola!

I have looked into fleece but it is too expensive for me, also I live in apartments and have to go out to Laundromats to wash my clothing because the washing machines here do not work well at all.

So that is why I was trying to find something else that is safe for them.

Aspen is perfectly fine.

I actually use it in my cage, no problems at all.

Yay! Glad to hear that =]
I'm doing a full on cage cleaning tonight and so I'm happy that I won't have to make another run to a store. :)

Actually, fleece is a one time investment. And if you do the math, I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than buying bedding.
I saved a fortune with fleece rather than buying carefresh in bulk.

Well once I have more money saved up I can invest in Fleece, although I have to count the money at the Laundromat I'm going to be using every week plus the time to wash them away from the piggies.

Fleece isn't expensive- I got the mattress pad I put under for $6, and 5 fleece blankets for $2-4 dollars. Total cost for the minimum amount of stuff would have added up to $6 + $2 + $4 = $12. Much cheaper than buying bedding over and over!

But, I can understand the laundromat situation. Shavings may work better for your situation.

FLeece is great for a lot of people, but I actually switched to Aspen (for the two long-haired guys) and EcoBed (for the skinnies) because i found that I had more odor issues with the fleece.

Aspen is a perfectly acceptable bedding, and while fleece is also good, there's no reason you should have to explain not wanting to use it. Aspen doesn't have the oils that are the concern with Cedar (and non kiln-dried pine), absorbs well, and keeps odor to a minimum.

I just cleaned the whole cage and fixed some of the coroplast. I added the new bedding and they are loving it!
There's way more in the bag than in the other I had bought so there's plenty of padding for them. They're running around and jumping a lot more than usual, even the shy of the two is out and about eating his greens and pellets.
I think that's a plus! =D

Fleece is one of the BEST changes I have made. For me, starting costs were probably about $100. That includes $40 for 4 changes of patterned fleece from the fabric shop and towels. I got enough to have 2 changes for each cage (I have 2 cages). For some that is probably expensive but if you think about how much you spend on disposable bedding you save A LOT of money. I buy bags of 100% recycled kitty litter for the kitchen areas in their cages. This bag would probably fill one 2x4 nicely at a cost of $35. If I was changing this cage totally every week then I would be spending $1800 on disposable bedding compared to $100 in fleece start up costs.

Apart from costs, the pigs love it. It is really soft and comfortable for them to snooze on. Additionally the fleece wicks away the urine so they are never wet from sitting in pee.

I use coin laundry and use fleece. It probably cost around the same as aspen shavings but I prefer fleece. My cage is raised on 2 grids stand and it's right next to my kitchen counter. I would hate to wake up to see shavings in my toaster.

I'm glad aspen is working out for you.

There are so many threads on this forum about fleece, I'm sure that yaqcubper could find info on how to do that if s/he was interested. It's frustrating to me, though, when threads asking about OTHER forms of bedding (aspen, yesterday's news, carefresh, etc) get turned into Fleece threads. Fleece isn't the right answer for everyone, and while it does work, and well, for many people, those of us who find that a disposable bedding works BETTER should be able to discuss which types, etc, without having to wade through a bunch of info on fleece. That's just my opinion, mind you, I'm not telling people how to post.

I just picked up some fleece and I am going to use it when I can expand the boy's cages. I have always used Carefresh, but man, that stuff is the biggest expense of Piggies. I buy tons of veggies each week and hay, and I don't mind that at all. I just like having clean cages, and I would like to clean them totally out at least every three days...not once a week which Carefresh seems to cause do to cost. Having said that....I finally picked up some Aspen wood shavings this past weekend to try. My boys love it! I've never seen them so happy. Well, I have, but this is a new level of excitement.
Now, my question...At first I didn't smell the wood, but after a day I really started noticing it. I double checked the bag and it's 100% aspen wood. So...is this harmful that I can smell it...and it seems strong to me. Should I be worried. Is aspen really safe for my babies?

I just tried the Aspen shavings and it's the one I will use now. I tried the Carefresh but it always looked dirty (and depressing). Then I tried the fleece but there was no hiding any kind of feces which meant I was constantly cleaning it. The Aspen is great. It's brighter with no odor and my piggies love it. I agree with the other post that you need to try different ones and go with what works for you and your piggies in the end. Everyone will have their opinion of what's best. Only you know what's best for you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.