Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners Have you seen this? Zorb

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
Google: zorb fabric.

I have the itch to make some more fleece pig pads, and was looking around online. This stuff is supposed to be very absorbent and I bet would work super as a layer under the fleece!

Hmm. have to try it!

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
I've looked at that stuff too.

It's very popular with the "homemade cloth diapers (for babies, not pigs) crowd.

If you get some, let me know how it works and I'll do the same if I get some.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
I'm always up for trying something new, especially for my four-legged friends. I ordered some yesterday and will let you know the verdict as soon as I can "assess the performance of said product". I'm kind of excited about it. If it works well, it will be so much less bulky in the cage. Thanks for the heads up.

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Oooh! I'm excited and anxious to see how it works! How much did you get and how much did it cost?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Did any of you try it out? How did it work? I found some reviews on diaper site.
(broken link removed)

Toadies

Cavy Slave
I did order some but have not used it yet, as my cage change plans are on hold. What I got is white and is like a thick felt. It's pretty flexible and not too heavy, pound-wise. I was surprised at how fast it dried in the dryer and the little amount of lint that it left behind. That review was encouraging and I am looking forward to putting it to use in the next few days.

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
I have been reading more into this Zorb stuff.

Everyone on the diaper sites says it is a godsend.

I think that the lady who makes the Piggy Bedspreads uses Zorb in the construction of her products. If you look on the Zorb website under the description for Zorb, and then read her description of her absorbent layer - it's nearly the same.

So my guess is that it works. I'm still anxious to her your test run Toadies!!

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
Also, from the discription of the zorb it is also the same material as the sham wows. Sham Wow and Zorb is the same Material, so be careful where you put it so that the piggies can't actually get to it.

lissie

Cavy Slave
This is the Zorb site. I don't see anything mentioning Sham Wow.
(broken link removed)

Based on reviews on diaper site, many people said it's not sham wow.

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I don't think it's the same thing as Sham Wow. The description of Sham Wow says that it is made of a specially woven rayon that feels and looks like felt when dry, but turns into a soft chamois when wet. It has to be wet to work, apparently. The Zorb says it is made of natural and man made materials. It doesn't say what because it is a proprietary formulation.

I have noticed however, on a lot of the diapering sites, that the Zorb should be used sandwiched between 2 layers of something else...some people used bamboo flannel. I'm not sure if this is true, but thought I would throw it out there.

Laura_Leigh

Cavy Slave
the flannel has the wicking property that we use fleece for... basically to keep the wetness away from the baby's body... most of them use a "barrier fabric" on the other side of the Zorb to keep it from leaking to the clothes.... basically the same idea behind the Piggy BedSpreads...

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Did anyone try the Zorb yet?

Toadies

Cavy Slave
I finally got some put down in the boys' cage today. I'll let you know in a couple of days how it does absorption and smell wise. It is an unwoven fabric and unstable on its own, so it needs to be a middle layer, for sure. It tends to stretch out of shape if pulled on. It should never be used as a top layer, the piggies would scratch right through it. I do have high hopes for the "sucking up" power, though. I'll keep you posted.

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
I'm so anxious to find out! I'm so tired of the towels...my mucky boars will not use a litter box, so I have to change at least the top layer of the towels under the fleece each day! Ugh! I'd love to just be able to skip changing some of the absorbent layer every day!

Toadies

Cavy Slave
It's only been 3 days but the Zorb seems to be doing its job. The cage is dry and certainly not smelly. I have two boars so I can't say it's odor free, but it sure doesn't stink. I used two layers of Zorb over incontinence pads topped off with a layer of fleece. As the Zorb was cut to cage size, sweeping up was easier because there are no lumps where towels meet. The cage is due to be changed on Monday or Tuesday and I'll let you know how it goes.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I used two layers of Zorb over incontinence pads topped off with a layer of fleece.
Did you sew all the layers together? Is the incontinence pad disposable or washable?

Toadies

Cavy Slave
I just placed it in the cage under the fleece and clipped the edges down like normal. I want to use it in a 2x8 but haven't remodeled yet and didn't want to sew something that I wouldn't have a use for later. I also wanted to see if this is really the route that I wanted to go since sewing is my 1st love (NOT!). If it works well, and it seems to be doing so, then I will proceed to the sewing stage. Since it is unstable on its own, I will put it in a mesh/lingerie bag to wash it. The incontinence pads are WalMart brand disposables. I will probably back my fleece and Zorb with sheeting material to keep them easier to wash and dry and continue to use the incontinence pads. They aren't expensive.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Just an update. Well, the day came to clean the cage and, as is the way of life, my day did not belong to me. So I removed the fleece and replaced it with clean fleece. The Zorb was dry and didn't smell. I am impressed and I'm not easy to impress. I think that this is the way I'm going to go.

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Wow! How long has it been since you put the Zorb in? You haven't had to take it out and wash it yet?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.