Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing Snowball! (And a couple questions.)

chainedangel

Cavy Slave
So yesterday we got our new pig, Snowball. At the moment he is in my room in quarantine. Gus is in the living room.
Snowball is a 2yr old short hair. Gus is a 6 month old Abyruvian.

I will get pics up soon but for now I have questions-
Snowballs fur is very rough. Like the green scrubbie pads you use on dishes. Is this normal?
Also, it looks as though his ears are peeling. The left ear is mostly pink with a couple of brown patches closer to his scalp. The right ear is all brown as I would expect, but it appears bubbly as if it was sunburned and is ready to peel.

He's eating well and making happy noises and doesn't seem to be in pain.

What is causing this? Will coconut oil help? (I use coconut oil for everything... LOL)

Thanks-
Amanda

It sounds like he is in the same condition our Otus was when we rescued him.

After a couple of months of the proper diet: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...-pigs-diet-read-me-nutrition-charts-info.html, living on fleece bedding, cleaning his ears with mineral oil (coconut oil would probably work just as well), and just simply caring for him properly...his hair became softer and he looked like a whole different piggy!

So yesterday we got our new pig, Snowball. . . . .I will get pics up soon but for now I have questions-
Snowballs fur is very rough. Like the green scrubbie pads you use on dishes. Is this normal?
First of all, congratulations! Secondly, when you say his fur is like a scrubbie pad, do you mean it's kinked or just rough? I'm wondering if he's possibly a teddy.

Well I know nothing, but congratz on your new piggie!

He's probably just been neglected-keeping on a good diet, hay, high quality bedding and veggies should do the trick. When I rescued my girl, she had the ugliest fur I'd ever seen-matted and yellowish (she's a long haired white piggy). After she came home with me and got necessary care, her fur thickened out and grew soft and healthy. :)

My Ethel's hair was rough when we first got her, too. After some time on a proper diet, her hair is shiny and soft :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.