Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Teeth pulling?

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
I could really use some advice from anyone who can give me something. My Lethal, Daisy is having problems with her teeth. They poor girly's teeth are growing like weeds. The one bottom one that she has is the worst and the vet had mentioned when we took her in the for first time, that we could consider the possiblity of her going under meds and getting the root removed and the tooth pulled. I was wondering if there was anyone who had to go through this before and wondered about anything that might happen. Daisy is 3 weeks old tomorrow (I figured I'd wait till she was a bit older to do this being as she's so young). I'm terrified to make a decision about this and would really appreciate any knowledge on the subject! Thank you to anyone in advance!

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
Our rescue has a guinea pig named Piglet who had to have her front incisors removed (she only had the bottoms).

(broken link removed)

Her upkeep is fairly intensive. She has to be handfed daily, and have a variety of veggies julienned for her to be able to eat them. In most cases, however, front teeth problems are indicative of ongoing molar problems -- have you had her back teeth checked?

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
No, her back teeth were not checked. The Vet we had didnt specialized in guinea pigs (we only live on a small island so there is no one here that does exotic animals). But I noticed when she eats, she doesnt really use her front teeth, she uses her molars. I buy the carrots already cut up julienne style and then cut then into smaller bits so it's easier and she just tosses them into her mouth and uses her back teeth. I hope that's a good sign!

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
It's probably worth getting her back teeth looked at by a pig savvy vet. We've got a lethal in our rescue named Maddie (babytulip is her sanctuary mom) and she has a fairly steady stream of teeth problems, primarily in the back, which then cause the front to go out of alignment.

Personally, I would consider incisor removal to be a final step when all else has been exhausted. :)

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
That's what I was thinking, using as only a final resort. I just dont want to put her through a mess that she doesnt need to be in if she doesnt have to be. Just a question, I was looking at the photos of your adorable piglet, and I saw that you just gave her a bowl of mash. I was just wondering if it was easier to do that and what do you use in the mash and how do you make it (if this makes sense to you haha!) I feed mine by hand (tiny bits of veggies by hand and liquids by baby syringe that use to be my 2 year old son's.)

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
I'm not the person making most of it, so this may not be as detailed as you need... but her mash is made out of Critical Care (a product by Oxbow designed for handfeeding guinea pigs). Her foster mom also generally mixes some type of yummy baby food into it to lure her to eat. She does eat some alfalfa hay, but not so much grass hay. Too much alfalfa isn't great for her, obviously, a tiny bit of it does entice her to eat some of the other hays.

Maddie the lethal seems to really enjoy eating Kleenmama's third cut hay that her mom buys for her, but doesn't do so well with some of the other hays.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Ya, I've heard about Oxbow and Kleenmama but you cant get it anywhere on the island here. I live in Prince Edward Island, Canada, and we dont have much stuff like that. The only place to get pet stuff in my town is Walmart (I only get the hay and pellets there.) The only other place to get stuff is Pet's Unlimited in Charlettown (and hours drive) and I dont really like to get stuff in bulk as I dont want it to go bad. What is Critical Care?

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
Critical Care is a finely ground type of hay product with nutrients, etc, added to it so that it's nutritionally complete for animals that need to be handfed.

Hay and things shouldn't go bad if kept in bulk. Hay is commonly stored for up to a year or more. :)

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I didnt mean the hay, but I was told that pellets can only be store for a month. Can you use regular pellets for it?

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
Your really caught between a rock and a hard place. You live on an island with an unsavy-cavy vet. I'd be nervous as all hell taking the advice from a vet who doesn't specialize but at the same time something needs to be done and he'/she's your only option. definitely would go onto guinea lynx and run this by them. I'm confident someone may offer some good suggestions / advise. Poor little piggy, it's so not fair. Boy...good luck to you, keep us posted as to the outcome. I wish I had more to offer.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I will do that. The vet did say that she would consult with the board of vets before we decided on anything. She did say there was an Exotic Vet on the board who she was going to chat with. She did look on the internet before we had the appointment as well (she mention being on GP lynx).

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
That's a good sign! I believe there's a thread floating around here about lethals that you may want to print off for her to read as well by salana, who owned Einstein.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Ya, I've talked to Salana, she was very helpful! It's so sad that nature makes things like this, poor little animals!

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
So, just another quick questions, when people say they feed their piggies grass, is that just everyday grass from your lawn (no pesticides of course)? Right now I feed them alfafa to the babes and Timothy to the Mom and Dad. Then of course their's the pellets and veggies. I find my pigs dont really like to eat their pellets. They beg till the get their veggies unless they dont get them (because they've been given enough) then they eat their pellets as a last resort. Is that normal?

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, nature didn't make these. People developed the roan and dalmation piggies because of their pretty colors, and because of their meddling, we now have lethals. :(

I think that's pretty normal overall -- my guys would eat vegetables over ANYTHING. Pellets are their backup food for when they can't convince me otherwise!

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
That's good then, I thought maybe they werent getting enough veggies or something and was having trouble restraining myself from over spoiling!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Amsley246 said:
Right now I feed them alfafa to the babes and Timothy to the Mom and Dad. Then of course their's the pellets and veggies. I find my pigs dont really like to eat their pellets. They beg till the get their veggies unless they dont get them (because they've been given enough) then they eat their pellets as a last resort. Is that normal?
You need to feed all of them timothy (or another grass hay) and supplement the pups with alfalfa. Pigs no matter the age need grass hay. Pellets are the least part of any pigs diet so if they aren't eating a lot of pellets that's ok. As long as they are all getting unlimited grass hay and at least the minimum amount of veggies daily, they will be good. Even the pups need 1 cup of veggies per day.

You do have the mom and dad separated right?

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Of course I have the mom and Dad separated. We have a 2 story cage, Dad is in the top and Mama and Babes in the bottom until their old enough. So far I'm certain I have 3 girls (they all look like Y's, not I's). The Babies do pick off their mother's hay as well, so they are getting what they need.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I figured you did have them separated but thought I would ask rather than assuming you had them together.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Haha, that's ok!I made sure they were separated as soon as the babes came. We left him in there while they were being born (in careful supervision) and let him help out, which he did! Every so often we let the whole family out together (once again under careful supervision) so they have a chance to be together and so he doesnt get depressed by himself. I'm hoping one of the babies will turn out to be a boy so he can have some company. If not, looks like I have some adopting to do. The only thing is, the Shelter in Charlettown hasn't had any Guinea Pigs come in quite some time now so I may have to take a trip to Moncton (in New Brunswick) some time!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.