Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello everyone

daisy's cavies

Cavy Slave
Hi,
I found this forum quite by accident this morning and have already found it so very useful, so thankyou all!!!

I have recently been biten by the cavy bug in a very big way. When I say recently I mean over the last year, I now have a total of 10 pigs and was looking for ways of expanding my hutches.

After having problems this summer with stray cats scarying my pigs, so was toying with the idea of converting my garden shed into a huge hutch and run set up so that all my girls could live together.

Although plans aren't finialised yet as I still need to tackle light and ventilation whilst still keeping the "shed" safe, these cubes alot of you talk about sound FANTASTIC, have sent hubby of to our local screw fix to have a good look, (as it is him that will have to build them all lol!)

Obviously any ideas any of you have for the ventilation, whilst keeping it safe etc would be greatfully accepted!

Fluffy_Guinea

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

Ten piggies wow! It must be hard taking care of them all but of course worth it. Oh they sticky threads on the top of each board are very useful so take note of that. I'm afraid I don't know anything about bulding hutches or even cages but I know other members do and will be glad to answer your questions. Here are some links that might help you though and I don't mean anything by the first one just making sure you are aware of all the risks which you probably are. These are basically all the sticky threads I could find. Hope you enjoy the forum if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...-coming-should-you-house-your-gp-outside.html

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-cages/18735-how-build-second-story.html

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-cages/8067-how-build-alternative-c-c-type-cage.html

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Just so you are aware, we don't condone outdoor housing here. We believe that all cavies should be housed indoors where they can be better monitored for illnesses, are provided constant temperature monitoring (cavies need to be in a temperature range of 65-75 degrees F) and be safe from predators.

The wire grids we promote aren't recommended for full time outdoor use. Only as use for temporary outdoor playtime areas. This is because predators (both human and animal) can break into them.

daisy's cavies

Cavy Slave
After the summer I have had I can fully understand why you do not support outside housing!!! Obviously as you can understand though with so many cavies moving them all indoors was not really an option, my eldest daughters already share a room and I don't think they would have appreciated having to have the toddler in there with them to make space for the pigs indoors.

This is why I came up with the idea of turfing all their bikes etc out of my shed so that they can be effectively inside but without anyone having to start sleeping in the bath.

This way the cubes will be ok as they will be indoors, hubby has actually astounded me and really set to work today, the high window of the shed has been removed and replaced with strong wire mesh to to allow ventilation but also keep them safe, and new mesh panels have been cut into the top half of the door, again for ventilation and light.

He has made me a two storey 3 by 2 panel cage with a L shape "attic" on top, lined with the plastic and fleeces I have been reading about, and then still leaving them almost twice that amount of floor space again which has had lino put down and then covered in wood shavings.

The plan is to then have the pigs have "free run" of the entire shed, with the hidey boxes and tunnels they have in their various hutches and runs in the shed and cage.

I don't obviously know if this is something any of you would support as they are not effectively "indoors", but unless we can move house this is about as good as I can manage, certainly my neighbours, owner of my local pet shop and a local man who has always kept pigs all think I am mad and that these are very pampered pigs, but then the "trend" if you like for want of a better word around here is is simply outside pet shop bought wooden hutches, twin level if you are lucky!

Anyway, sorry if I have upset anyone, I hope I would still be able to use the forum even though I can not have my pigs fully indoors as I have found the threads I have looked at so far very useful!

Fluffy_Guinea

Cavy Slave
Of course you will still be able to use the forum no one is going to kick you off because of that. Anyway as much as I don't like housing cavies out side again if you have any questions I will be happy to answer them :).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.