Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece The Fleece Project: The Study

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I am going to try fleece as soon as I get the kitchen area made. Maybe today. I'm not sure, but I think I read on a post that you can use mattress pads. I was thinking of cutting and then sewing to fit the cage.

I'd have to do this by hand as I don't have a sewing machine.

tidus1

Cavy Slave
What do you do to wash the mattress pad after its been soiled?:?:

camende

Cavy Slave
A Queen size mattress pad, folded in half fits a 2 grid wide cage. You then just need to cut the length and you have 2 layers.

You wash the mattress pads in the washing machine. Regular laundry soap (no fabric sofeners) and some vinegar if you want.

I started out with long pieces of mattress pads covered with fleece. I used paver stones to hold everything down. Now I use mattress pads (or batting material that I got at the fabric store) that are sewn together with the fleece. Each pad is about 1x2grids or 2x2 grids in size. They are alot easier to deal with then the big pieces of mattress pads and fleece.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
I might be using fleece with my new C&C cage. What type of soap could you use to wash fleece? Can you use Purex? Because we use Purex to wash our clothes.
Oh, and can you just use a small sweeper like not a vaccum but one you sweep the poos up with?

gooberific

Cavy Slave
I might be using fleece with my new C&C cage. What type of soap could you use to wash fleece? Can you use Purex? Because we use Purex to wash our clothes.

You can use Purex, since there's no dyes or perfumes. When my guys' fleece is nasty from a water bottle leak or something, I use dye/fragrance free All. Usually, I just fill the detergent and softener sections of my washer with vinegar.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Can you use White Vinegar?

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I sweep up my poops with a little broom and dust pan.

yes you can use white vinegar

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Yes, you most certainly can use vinegar. It helps cut down on smell. My favorite laundry detergent is Ecos. It is organic and it does have lavender scent (it's from an EO) but it is very, very light smelling, and after the clothes have been through the wash and dryer (or hang dryed) it does not smell at all. It's actually not that expensive, and it's even cheaper when you buy it from Sam's Club.

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Yes! That's what I was talking about! You can find a little broom and dust pan at the dollar store for a $1. Now that's a cheap cleaning investment. I have towels that I use to dry my Guinea Pigs off with but I learned an idea about putting the blow-dryer on cool or low(and Guinea Pigs only need to be bathed every 6 months unless they really, really stink). So I might use the towels underneath the fleece for extra adsorbent. I hopefully will get my cage done very soon!
Yes. Our Purex has a lavender scent. I've never heard of ECO but I like Purex. I've used it so much!

tidus1

Cavy Slave
Ive been washing my fleece all day. i was useing warm water now im useing hot. what would be better so that it will wick faster in time.

pigluvinARK

Cavy Slave
I started using the purex eco brand. It is really good. I also wash all the food dishes with eco friendly soap. And the cage is cleaned with eco friendly cleaner. LOL. Only the best for my piggies.

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to say thanks for this excellent thread! I have been fleecing on and off since June, and have finally got a system taht works great for us.

My best performing fleecing is: one layer of fleece sewn to the "cotton rich" mattress pad from Walmart. It really holds the urine in, doesn't smell for several days (I use litter pans in the kitchen areas), is easy to sweep, wash and change out.

Plus it's a one time cost, there's no purchasing bags and bags of bedding, and there's no filling trash bags and lugging them out every week!

OurPiggiesRock

Cavy Slave
This was very informative! Thank you very much! I was planning on doing the fleece thing and this answered all my questions!
My piggies and I thank you :)

Mumu is my pig

Cavy Slave
i agree, this would make a great page on the site!

ChristyG

Cavy Slave
As I am hoping to adopt soon, this article is wonderful!! I was thinking of using the fleece for our cage, and after reading this article~I am for sure!! I am always at the fabric store, o picking up some wont be a problem, and it seems the towels to use under are the best idea for me too..plus I can always pick up some towels pretty cheap when they are on sale. All in all it seems the fleece would be more coft efficent instead of buying the bedding. How may layers of fleece should I have in the C&C, and how many layers of towels??

mariatito

Cavy Slave
Is that ok to use fleece for bedding in summer months?
I thought that fleece is a very warm fabric. Would the guinea getting sweltering if I use it in summer, or there is no problem?
(I'm going to use air-contition to cool them the day and the night, also put ice bags in the cage rolled up with towels).
By the way,this whole site is fantastic!!I realize how much hard work you must put into it and believe me,it's really,really appreciated! I know that I can always count on you guys to answer any question I have!

ChristyG

Cavy Slave
Thats a good question! AS I found out I have found 2 to be adopted, I am trying ot make sure I have all teh good info...So is it ok to use fleece in summer? We have central ir, so it woul dbe nice and cool in the house.

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
Fleece isn't that hot in the summer-- they're ON it, not under it. With regard to layers, I use 2-3 layers of towels and one layer of fleece. You don't want more than one layer of fleece.

niknchris2

Cavy Slave
I am a new piggie owner so this post is the greatest and answered so many of my questions that the pet store did not inform me of. I also did not realize there were piggies out there to adopt so when we are ready for a companion for ours we will look into that for sure. Thanks

ChristyG

Cavy Slave
Thanks!! I am planning on using one layer of fleece, and some towels, or matress pads.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.