Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

When using Fleece, why use other layers?

wuvhandles
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

nws2002

Cavy Slave
Fleece is designed to wick the moisture away to the absorbent layers below, and keep the top fleece layer nice and dry.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Fleece doesn't really absorb. It passes the moisture down through the layers so the bottom gets wet first and the top is only wet if the bottom layers are soaked. If there is nothing underneath the the fleece stays wet because there's nothing to hold the moisture and draw it off the bottom of the fleece. Without an absorbent layer I'd be changing wet fleece within the hour. With a thin layer like newspaper or just cheap puppy pads I'd be changing it twice a day. With several cotton layers I only have to change the underneath every 3-5days and the fleece once a week or so. Also with cotton instead of fleece the moisture soaks the top first and then the bottom leaving it always wet. With fleece the more absorbent your layers underneath the longer it takes to fill up the layers and reach the top so the longer the fleece is dry. However leaving it too long will result in smell even if it isn't completely wet yet.

wuvhandles

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I go to a feedstore and get my shavings for half of that. Make sure it says kiln-dried pine.
I am glad you wrote in about the fleece as I have been thinking about replacing my puppy pads with something I can reuse. On another thread someone is using washable chux. It got me thinking and I am going to buy two sets of crib mattress pads. They are at Wal-Mart and you get three in a pack. I will buy two packs. They are fleece on top and vinyl underneath! What do you all think? Those of you who are fleece only folk may want to look into these also.
  • Includes three pads measuring 27" x 50"
  • 100% waterproof
  • Fits and protects cribs, toddler, youth and twin beds
  • Machine washable for easy care
  • Fleece top/vinyl back
  • Cuts to any size

wuvhandles

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Can everyone list what they have underneath their fleece that can be thrown away. My mom won't let me use the washing machine. The local fabric store is going out of business, so if the fleece is a good price, we are going to try it.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Well wuvhandles you got me pondering now! I just love it. It seems on this group we are always looking for improvement. Here I am with 6 girls now instead of 2. We definately are going from throw away puppy pads to reusable crib pads. That is a done deal. Now I am looking at the thought of trying to get all the shavings off the crib pads before they can be washed. What a hassle. Way back when I made my first C&C cage I lined it with bathmats and such. Lord it was so stinky when I changed it out and I had a shavings area for the girls and it was spread all over.When school starts again I will be getting up twice a week at 4:30 to be in the OR for clinicals from 6-6 and then school from 9-2 two days a week with Friday off. Right now this cage is yelling,"Clean me every 4 days." I am worried I won't have the energy to deal with the shavings and such. So now I am thinking about fleece as cost effective and putting litter boxes/areas in strategic places. It sounds so nice to be able to just roll things up and toss in the wash! Well we all know the topic of discussion here tonight! LOL I think way back when I saw some nice small litter pans for cheap at Wally World.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Jdomans, are you going to be using these crib pads underneath regular fleece or in place of? Or using them with shavings?

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Ly so glad you popped in! My initial thought was just replacing the throw away puppy pads with the crib pads. Then as I realized what my life will/may be like soon I started dreading having to get all the shavings off the crib pads so I could wash them. So my mind went back to fleece and how I could have a few litter pans and how much easier to just roll all of it up (minus the litterpans etc.) and toss in the wash. Am I off the wall with this? I have even gone as far as thinking about sewing the plain fleece on to the crib pads. This way the fleece will stay put so much better. I need to come up with as much ease as possible. I realize that I will have to shake out the fleece/crib pads but it won't be anything like trying to remove the shavings from it. Of course I will have at least 2 sets.

JennG

Cavy Slave
Ok I've had my girls since July and I haven't changed the way I do my bedding. I have an L shaped cage (a 2x4 connected to a 2x6). I use a bottom layer of newspaper, two towels, and then fleece. I use bricks throughout the cage to hold the fleece in place (as well as to catch drips from my waterbottles. Sometimes I'll use a binder clip to hold the upper level beddings down.

I have a 2nd level. One side is a 2x3 connected by an L shaped grids that go to the other side which is a 2x2. I have the same layers for this entire level except for the 2x3 where I keep their hay, pellets, veggies dishes and one water bottle.

I put a layer of newspaper down on the entire area. I then put a layer of towel. On the side where the hay is I put a cheap Walmart rug I bought for under a buck. On the other side, I've found scrap pieces of fleece that fit pretty well. Look below for my hay area set up. I find that if the girls get hay on the rug, its easy to shake out. There is a coroplast potty area under the hay of newspaper, aspen & carefresh. Hopefully this'll work for you.

When using Fleece, why use other layers?

Sorry to be so winded. I just wanted to explain myself thoroughly.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
So my mind went back to fleece and how I could have a few litter pans and how much easier to just roll all of it up (minus the litterpans etc.) and toss in the wash. Am I off the wall with this?
Nope, it's what many of us fleece users do.

I have even gone as far as thinking about sewing the plain fleece on to the crib pads.
Sounds like a good plan. I eventually plan to get some cheap material and make cage blankets. Fleece on top, mattress pad in the middle and some sort of material on the bottom. Maybe I can do that someday when I get all the cavy cave orders and donation gifts made and in the mail.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Ly I have been in contact with JennG and have studied her pics etc. For now this is what I am going to do. I have an L shaped caged. The bottom of the L is the original 48"cage. That is going to be the feed room (hay, pellets, and water). Once again, for now, I will have shavings in there with crib pads underneath. If it gets to be too much of a hassle I will revert back to puppy pads under the shavings in that area only. The main body of the L is the 72" cage and that will be fleece and living quarters with one water bottle.
We went to Joann Fabric last night and what fleece they had on sale wasn't much of a sale to me anyway. I am headed to the great Wally World today and at least now I have some price idea.

kittnkarr

Cavy Slave
jdomans said:
  • Includes three pads measuring 27" x 50"
  • 100% waterproof
  • Fits and protects cribs, toddler, youth and twin beds
  • Machine washable for easy care
  • Fleece top/vinyl back
  • Cuts to any size

Thanks for the idea on the reusable crib pads. I have been trying to think of a way to minimize going through puppy pads like water. Even though I can get them for cheap price it is a hassle to make sure that I have a large enough supply on hand.

I know what I will be doing this weekend... Shopping for Piggies. :)

jdomans

Cavy Slave
kittn, Make sure you get flat not fitted mattress pads. Go online to Wally World and see what I am talking about. One here was out completely and last night I zipped to TRU and in their baby department they now only have fitted. They used to have flat as well. THey may just have been out also but I saw no peg for them. Oh you may find them saying pack n play pads as well as crib pads. Well I am on my way to another Wally World.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
For the fitted mattress pads I just got one slightly bigger than my cage and then cut off the parts that made it not sit flat. It seems to withstand cutting ok.

kittnkarr

Cavy Slave
aqh88 said:
For the fitted mattress pads I just got one slightly bigger than my cage and then cut off the parts that made it not sit flat. It seems to withstand cutting ok.

That was my thought on what I was going to do. Get it larger and then cut it to make it fit. My pigs seem to only pee in the middle areas of the cage so as long as that is completly covered I should be set.

jdomans -- thank you for the advice on what to look out for.

KPIGGY

Cavy Slave
Can I ask why you all use newspaper. I use just pupy pads and fleece. I have placemats underneath their hay basket so it is a bit eaiser to clean and I wash the fleece and change pads once a week. I wipe the placemats every day. Just wondered thats all. Also I was thinking of buying an incontenent sheet to use insteed of the puppy pads.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Hi all!
I just got back from the wonderful world of Wally and had a great time. Their solid fleece is $4.44 yd always. I got yellow and baby blue. They didn't have pink. anyhow I also got crib pads (different from what was on their website) and I stopped in the 'normal' bedding section and bought their brand of a queen mattress pad for $12.88 I think. I am going to put it between the fleece and crib pads for more cushioning. Good lord here we are worried about cushioning in the GPs cages!!! What a hoot. I looked at waterproff mattrss pads but they are nothing more than shower curtains for a mattress. The crib pads are so much better. They will absorb but not leak out. Funny how we all have the same thought and I come home with a regualr mattress pad! Yes I will just cut it to fit etc. Of course the fleece doesn't offically need to be sewn because it won't unravel but I want it all as one unit so I will sew the three layers together.
Bottom: flat crib pad
Middle: regular mattress pad cut to size
Top: Fleece
My weekend is cut out for me!
Judy

JennG

Cavy Slave
Looks like you're going to have fun. Take pics when you get it done. I'd like to see them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.