Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Crusty Eyes Need Advice for Icky swollen eye

Alanna

Cavy Gazer
Hi, I'm not exactly new to caring for guinea pigs, but I am new to this type of problem. Last night we (my family and I) noticed my guinea pig Roxie had this very goopy, swollen eye. So we cleaned out any foreign objects (a piece of hay)and some very thick eye crust and hoped she would feel a bit better. She looks better this morning (See attached) but we are starting to wonder if she needs to see a vet, or if we should just leave it.

Any advice would really be appreciated.

Attachments

IMG_20211011_110639346_HDR.jpg

Alanna

Cavy Gazer
I want to make clear, she is NOT sick, she eats, Drinks, and moves around perfectly fine. No lethargy or anything like that, I just get nervous with stuff that I don't know about.
If she were sick I would of taken her to the vet already, but she had been fine thus far.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
If she were my piggy I would have a vet check her out. Eye issues can be serious for pigs.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She might just have a blocked tear duct. If you're able to clean all that goop off, then I'd very very very gently massage just below the eye, in the corner by the nose. Do that a couple of times a day for a day or so and see if that helps.

But if the goop comes back, then definitely see a vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.