Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Finding a buddy for piggy is HARD.

audizzy

Cavy Slave
So yesterday my male piggy passed away leaving his daughter behind. She will be turning 5 this upcoming November so I’ve been trying to find her new cage mate. I tried the animal shelter and they do have older piggies BUT they won’t give out guinea pigs unless you have a very big cage. I have a 2x6 C&C…wouldn’t that be enough? :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
In my experience animal shelters are either lax with requirements or don't know about "pocket pets" (example - when adopting my first pair from an animal shelter, they were willing to let me adopt one/separate a bonded pair). I'm sure if you mention the cage size in feet they would be fine.

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
Yes I agree as well. Maybe take some pictures of your cage and show it to them. I’ve never heard of animal shelters declining adopters for having a 2 by 6 C and C cage.

audizzy

Cavy Slave
Hi I did mention the cage size but the lady on the phone didn’t sound happy about it. I was going to mention that’s it’s a c&c cage but I don’t think she would know what that is because I’m in Germany.
Going to send in some photos of the cage to their email. I hope they approve!
It makes me sad because she said that they have a lot of old guinea pigs up for adoption. Don’t know if they ever get to go to a home with such strict requirements.

audizzy

Cavy Slave
~*HAPPY UPDATE*~

After I made my last post I found an ad of someone wanting to rehome their 5 year old piggy. Her name is Toffee and I broke down to tears when I saw her pictures because she looked exactly like my little old lady, Poppy, that passed away a year ago.
I met up with the seller with my little Teddy, and the two girls hit it off right away!! Watched them for about 20 min and they were happily chutting around each other.
Toffee is now home with us and she seems to be comfortable exploring her new cage [emoji3590]

slightlymeg

Cavy Gazer
Awesome! That’s great! So happy for you!

SSLee

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on your new baby, Toffee. Very happy to read the two piggies are getting along so well.

I adopted my last piggy, Felicia, from the local human society/SPCA and she was part of a bonded pair. However the staff there split them up and told me it is easier for them to be adopted out as singles. I asked to see the other half of the pair but was told she was being treated for a medical condition in their medical facility. I thought that was odd.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.