Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior New Guinea pigs!!! Help

AgnesM

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I just got 2 male guinea pigs a week ago, their names are Paxton and Rion. They are so cute and are 2 months old!

I'm a bit confused, they just started sniffing me but everytime they sniff on my finger, they always run away, even when I'm feeding them. It's a bit frustating but I know we need a lot of patience to gain their trust but ugh I really want to hug them and like to see them run towards me. Also, the popcorn thing is superrr cuteee. Can't wait to see them get bigger! I'll post some pics about them soon! (broken link removed) lol

CanadianPiggies

Cavy Slave
It will take a while before they run to you. But consider picking them up and holding them, so they get to know who this person is. I hold mine so much that I imagine when they see me coming, they look at each other and go "Whose turn is it this time?"

CanadianPiggies

Cavy Slave
Also, handle them gently and lovingly, but don't hug them. They're fragile little creatures and you don't want to hurt them.

AgnesM

Cavy Slave
It will take a while before they run to you. But consider picking them up and holding them, so they get to know who this person is. I hold mine so much that I imagine when they see me coming, they look at each other and go "Whose turn is it this time?"

omg yahhh, I tried to hold them today, and they actually let me to, and they let me touch them too! i guess I was also too scared to hold them, that's why they were not sure too lol They are so tiny and softtt also cute, especially when they take a nap with closed eyes and yawn awww

AgnesM

Cavy Slave
hiii, thank youu. they're so adorable! i'm wondering if store treats are good for them or not. I bought this Twiggies small animal treats but my guinea pigs do not really like them and I watched some youtube videos saying store bought treats are not good for piggies. also, are dandelions and mix floral good too?

CanadianPiggies

Cavy Slave
No! Stay away from those types of things.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The best kind of treats you can give them are natural foods -- a blueberry or two, a bit of cilantro or parsley (don't overdo those), a little melon rind. They much better for them than store-bought treats.

AgnesM

Cavy Slave
they really enjoy parsley and carrot tops, they would run for it hahahahahaha.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.