Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Bleeding from bottom & severe flaky skin after sedation.

furmomma

Cavy Slave
Hello. Frb, my 3.5 year old boar, began to be lethargic and not eating on Thursday evening. Friday morning he ate soft pellets by syringe and accepted water from bottle when offered. Regular vet was overbooked, but another vet took him in between appointments. Frb was sedated and vet said his molars are too long and need trimming, but didn't have time to do it then. I've made the earliest appointment possible for Monday to get his dental, but this evening he's gotten worse.

I've been managing all this while out of town helping sick family, and my husband was caring for the pigs. We just got back from the airport and its been 2.5 hours since Frb left the vet. He had bloody bedding stuck to his rear end, and just peed and its bloody too.

I'm giving him water and critical care which he is taking ok. The other thing is when I pet him my hands come away covered with dandruff and skin flakes. Not sure if connected or a fluke.

Please help. I've had piggies with teeth issues but never blood coming from their bottom. 1624061681071489496154091587366.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Can you gently look at his private parts and see if anything is amiss? Do you know how to clean the anal sac?

Is there hay stuck in his penis or alongside the shaft?

Is there blood in his anal sac? Or any foreign object in it?

Continue with the Critical Care and with fluids -- children's unflavored Pedialyte (the generic is ok) that's cut half and half with water would be good for him. If he's not eating anything else, he'll need 100+ cc. of Critical Care per day for every kilogram he weighs, adjusted up or down according to his weight, and down if he's eating any hay or pellets.

It might be a bladder issue, but that's a lot of blood to be coming from the bladder. It's not impossible, but my guess would be that the blood is just getting washed out of the anal sac by the urine.

furmomma

Cavy Slave
It's clearly coming from the penis. Not the anal sac. I don't see any foreign objects but possibly the penis is injured. 20210618_213031.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is he housed with another pig?

Can you extrude his penis to see if you can see any bite marks on it?

furmomma

Cavy Slave
Yes, he lives with his brother. I extruded it partially and didn't see any noticeable bite marks. His bleeding seems to have stopped. I got up just now to feed/ water him, and offered diced lettuce. He showed interest in lettuce but didn't eat any. I think he's maybe looking a little better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.