Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI/Urinary Tract Infection Pumpkin - Not sure what is going on, starting to whimper a bit when peeing

Demiba

Cavy Slave
Hi, my thought-to-be 5 1/2 year old Pumpkin girl has started making a tiny noise when she pees, and not frequently every time at this point. There is no blood in the cage and she is eating/drinking perfectly normal. Does this sound like a UTI or possibly stones? She does not seem in pain when I pick her up. I will make a vet appt.

Thank you

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
A vet appointment is a good idea. Is she on fleece or something that you can see if her urine looks sludgy? That can indicate high calcium which can lead to stones. Sometimes there can be blood in the urine but such a small amount that you can’t really see it.

Keep her hydrated and make sure she is actually peeing and doesn’t have a blockage. Here are some links to good info on UTIs and stones.

https://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/stones.html

Demiba

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the helpful links and your suggestions. I am going to put her on a light colored fleece to see if there is any evident of blood and monitor her closely.

Michelle87

Cavy Slave
I would get her into a vet right away. If it is a stone, it's better to catch it right away.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.