Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Flakes/Dandruff Persisting Post Lice Treatment?

bonbonandco

Cavy Slave
Flakes/Dandruff Persisting Post Lice Treatment?Flakes/Dandruff Persisting Post Lice Treatment?
top:before treatment (Revolution) bottom: after treatment

Hi everyone, my guinea pig (3 yo) had lice and was treated by our vet with Revolution, 2 doses in a 2 week interval. His hair loss and patches went away, however, I still saw dandruff and flakes post treatment. Months later, I am still seeing these itty bitty white flakes on him (the right picture was just taken today, 5 months after his treatment). Does he need to be treated again/is there a possibility the lice came back? Any advice/input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Are those flakes stuck to the shaft so that you have to pull them off? If so, they're lice nits, and you need to treat with ivermectin.

If you can just flick them off with your finger, they're dander of some sort.

No one-time treatment will kill all the lice, because nothing kills the nits and they hatch out as more lice. Three or four treatments with ivermectin will hit all the life cycles of an infection and will kill them all. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/111160-How-to-treat-for-mites-and-lice for how to do it.

ETA: The hair loss pattern in that first picture is classic for mites, not lice.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.