Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Question Need help sexing my ~3 month old guinea pig rescue

No one seems to know for sure what gender this guinea pig baby is. The previous owner said it was a girl, my vet suspected it was a boy, even though they told me they aren't even sure, and the LAGPR said they think it's a girl, but also can't be sure. I personally feel like it's a she, because I cannot feel anything hard under the skin like I can with my 1 year old piggies, or make what kinda looks like a penis to come out at all (or even have a pocket of any kind), so I'm heavily leaning towards it being a girl. Please help me decide, so I can start finding it a friend and stop calling it an it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	87213

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	87214

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,394 Rec'd/5,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3983 Post(s)

Re: Need help sexing my ~3 month old guinea pig rescue

Looks male to me. But see http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm and compare the pictures there.

The finger just above the genital in the bottom picture is where you'd put your index finger to rub back and forth across the abdomen to feel the penis bone. Or if it's centered just a bit more, it's the proper place to press down to extrude the penis. Many people put their finger too high on the abdomen, and can't make anything work.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Looks male to me. But see http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm and compare the pictures there.

The finger just above the genital in the bottom picture is where you'd put your index finger to rub back and forth across the abdomen to feel the penis bone. Or if it's centered just a bit more, it's the proper place to press down to extrude the penis. Many people put their finger too high on the abdomen, and can't make anything work.
    That's the reason I think it's a female. I have felt everywhere around it as close as possible. There's no bone. Nothing "happens". I do the same trick with my boys and it's obvious they are boys.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,394 Rec'd/5,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3983 Post(s)

If you're not sure, keep him/her separated until you're sure. If there are testicles, they'll grow pretty quickly.

Thanks
    Thanks
    519 Rec'd/438 Posts
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quoted
    253 Post(s)

I feel extremely confident that she is a girl. Sure she seems to have a larger than average urethral opening but all of the structures look distinctly female to me.

6. "Thank you, Soecara, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Talking Re: Need help sexing my ~3 month old guinea pig rescue

Quote Originally Posted by Soecara View Post
    I feel extremely confident that she is a girl. Sure she seems to have a larger than average urethral opening but all of the structures look distinctly female to me.
    Thank you. Yes, it was very confusing because of that. I felt all around it and felt nothing hard under the skin, but since so many people, including vets, were unsure and even claimed it to be a male, I decided I was sick of the baby being lonely when a lot of breeders even can figure it out within weeks, so went up to the LAGPR. It's about an hour away, and warm, but worth it. It is a confirmed....dun dun duunnnn....FEMALE, by Saskia. :)
    No more calling it an it. She is Luna. Her friend is arriving Monday, and will be Bella. So, Bella, Luna. <3

User Tag List