Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Need advice for two boars - can sneezing/coughing be brought on by stress?

AriaToaster

Cavy Slave
Hi guys! This is a little long - I apologize in advance.

So I'm having some trouble with my two boys. Quick background on them I've had them for about 7 months, and they've been sharing an enclosure for ~5 months now. My older pig is about 2 years old, his name is Josh. My younger pig is Bobby, he just turned 1. They're both rescues. Both are not neutered.

A couple weeks ago Bobby had some crusty eyes, sneezing, coughing. I brought him to the vet and they said his lungs sound good, but put him on a round of antibiotics just in case because the symptoms were obviously concerning. He took those great, and seemed to be doing fine. The odd sneeze here and there but nothing concerning. Now though, over the past two days I've noticed the symptoms returning. Once in a while I'll hear him breathing kind of heavy, and then he'll like clear his throat almost? and it'll stop. It sounds like he has some mucus or something going on. He has also sneezed a bit, and when he wheeks out of excitement it sounds a little raspy. He's still eating like a champ, I weigh him every week and he's been holding steady. Josh has sneezed and coughed a couple times too but I haven't noticed anything too significant. He has been pretty steady in his weight as well.

Today I called my vet to ask about Bobby's symptoms. I told her about everything mentioned above, and I had also noted that he and Josh had seemed extra aggressive with each other the past couple days. Today, Josh kept chasing Bobby and trying to bite him, and lots of rumblestrutting. I said I wasn't sure if it was because they didn't feel well, or if it is something I should be concerned with. The vet called me back this evening and said she wants me to separate the boys. Right now they're in two midwest cages that are attached, but she wants me to take them apart and keep them on opposite sides of the room. She thinks the sneezing could be brought on by stress, and because neither of them are neutered that they might be a little more aggressive. I want to know if anyone has experienced something like this before? Or if it sounds like it could be possible?

I'm working from home right now, so I am planning on separating them tomorrow morning so I can keep an eye on them all day. But to be honest, I'm feeling just sick about it all. If they're bonded, I don't want to cause them stress? But if they don't really like each other, I also don't want THAT to cause them stress? If they're in the same room do you think they'll still get that social feeling even if they're not right next to each other? They don't really cuddle or anything, they don't even really go by each other unless they're both eating from the same hay rack at the same time, but even then they can get a little testy. Do you guys think I should go ahead and separate them and then keep an eye on Bobby to make sure his symptoms aren't worsening?

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I would be suspicious about Bobby's health because sneezing, crusty eyes, coughing and raspy voice can be signs of an upper respiratory infection. That can turn into pneumonia which is really hard to get cleared up in guinea pigs.

I don't know about sneezing as a sign of stress, but sometimes one pig will be more aggressive with a pig that is ill. Their instinct tells them the ill pig is a liability when it comes to staying safe from predators. So if Bobby is ill, the last thing he needs is getting chased around and bitten. If it were me I would split them up until Bobby completes any meds he is prescribed and no longer shows signs of illness. And I would keep an eye on Josh since if it is a URI, it is very contagious.

AriaToaster

Cavy Slave
Thank you, this is kind of what I was thinking. I have them separated now & will be calling the vet the moment they open to get him in.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.