Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior My sow is pregnant and due soon, but the vet is closed.

Blast

Cavy Slave
Hi there. My sow is 9 months old. A few weeks a go I adopted her at a shelter knowing she was pregnant, because they couldn't take care of her anymore. The about last week I took her to the vet, and found out she was due very soon. The vet taught me how to feel the pelvic separation, to tell when she would give birth. She is at 2cm. I assume this means it's time. Anyway, the problem is that she's constantly laying down. She checks underneath from time to time and I can clearly see the piggies moving inside her. My question is:

Is it normal for her to be laying down so much?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Absolutely it's normal. All those pups are heavy, she's uncomfortable, and she's not gonna move much until they're born.

She may be checking because of the discomfort, or she may be eating her cecal poops. Both of those are normal.

She'll likely take care of everything herself. What you need to do, once she goes into labor, is to check fairly frequently to make sure she isn't laboring without delivering. That could mean a large pup stuck in the birth canal, which is a medical emergency requiring an emergency spay. But as long as the pups are coming, don't bother her.

Blast

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: She still hasn't given birth, and now I can no longer find her pelvic bones. Checked her this morning. I can feel a gap with something in-between, but cant find the bones any help?

Blast

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much. ill be watching for that.

Blast

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: She still hasn't given birth, and now I can no longer find her pelvic bones. Checked her this morning. I can feel a gap with something in-between, but cant find the bones any help?

Hi. So i found the bones and will now leave her alone. They are at 4 cm. Dont want to handle her too much, so I'll leave her be till the piggies come in.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I have personally never found much point in checking the pelvic bones, aside from driving both yourself and the guinea pig in question crazy. One of my girls had pelvic bones 2+ fingers apart for over 2 weeks before she finally gave birth. Another girl I checked her in the evening and her bones didn't feel like they had separated at all, next morning the pups were running around the cage.

Now when I have a pregnant sow I don't bother ever feeling for her bones, it doesn't tell me anything and just adds stress to both of us.

Blast

Cavy Slave
I have personally never found much point in checking the pelvic bones, aside from driving both yourself and the guinea pig in question crazy. One of my girls had pelvic bones 2+ fingers apart for over 2 weeks before she finally gave birth. Another girl I checked her in the evening and her bones didn't feel like they had separated at all, next morning the pups were running around the cage.

Now when I have a pregnant sow I don't bother ever feeling for her bones, it doesn't tell me anything and just adds stress to both of us.

I see. thank you for sharing with me. Some people have told me the same thing. I guess there's no real way tell, they'll just come when they come.

SheriGoddart85

Cavy Gazer
Yes, it is normal and natural way. Don't worry, you will have babies soon:))

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.