Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C New Standard For Cage Sizes

GreenAbyss

Cavy Slave
Some of the agencies are now saying 2x5 is good for 1 guinea pig ans 2x6 is good for 2 adults or 3 babies. The higher the size and more room the better. I agree with this, i'm just not sure it is true. Also, why are the pet stores still selling tiny hamster cages and marketing them for guinea pigs?

I have 2ft x 4ft store cage (I needed an actual cage for the apartment) and one small girl piggy. It meets the minimum for 1-2 piggies (I’d say really should just be one in there, especially once full grown.) It is the maximum actual cage size I found, even online, that wasn’t an outdoor hutch. Though you have to HUNT for a store cage this size to actually be in stock in the store. There are a few online (they too go out of stock quickly) and those are pretty much it. So I see what you’re saying and agree that they should be selling my size cage as the minimum, not maximum. I agree totally!

Pet stores are selling those small cages for guinea pigs because they're in the business of making money, not of promoting good care of pets.

Yeah sadly true. Though I will say not all employees are like this. Quite a few really do want what’s best for your pet, and they may be under informed but that’s not their fault. They are trained or taught wrong. If they knew the info we discovered, I’d say a good many would do their best to get you the best they could offer. Many times I have been referred to other locations or other chain pet stores for the better quality or more appropriate item.

It is sad that shops still sell small cages,ECT. I would like to believe that its all "starter stuff" but if there is profit to be made people will do it. My cage is a 30x50..ramp to upper deck. Some may think its too small for two guinea pigs. Its what we could afford. Sad that retail will take advantage. Its like that for all animals.

It is sad that shops still sell small cages,ECT. I would like to believe that its all "starter stuff" but if there is profit to be made people will do it. My cage is a 30x50..ramp to upper deck. Some may think its too small for two guinea pigs. Its what we could afford. Sad that retail will take advantage. Its like that for all animals.

Your cage is roughly 2.5ft x 4ft. You are in the appropriate size bracket. You gave them as much as you could and it’s a respectable size according to the humane society so rest assured!

Mine is 2x4 the absolute minimum allowed. I needed an actual cage as I’m in an apartment and even online this was the best I could give her within my limitations.

As long as your space is clean an a humane size, don’t worry what others say or think. You are fine, your guinea pigs are fine. No worries!:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.