Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals Second Opinion: Trouble Sexing Guinea Pig

Anon8822

Cavy Gazer
Hello! I picked up a young adult Guinea Pig (no older than a few months by the looks of it) to pair with my other female Guinea Pig as a companion. I asked for a female Guinea but when I introduced them to our other Guinea, they shortly tried to mount them. I know that can be due to them trying to show dominance but I wanted to check and make sure the new Guinea was a female but when we did, we weren’t too sure. I don’t have any plans on raising newborn Guinea Pigs so I’ll most likely take the little cutie to the vet tomorrow to be absolutely sure but since it costs around 70 dollars, I was hoping if anyone could give me an opinion based on the photos I post. Maybe they’re obviously a female and I’m just being paranoid. Thank you!

Attachments

98AFE028-622A-4432-83EA-59B23AF3BC55.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The acid test of a male is whether or not you can feel a penis bone. Put your index finger crosswise his body, just barely above his genitalia, and gently push back and forth. If there's a bone there, you should be able to feel it rolling under your finger. Alternatively, press your finger in and down at the same place, and you may be able to extrude the penis.

You can also compare at https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm -- there are lots of pictures there.

Anon8822

Cavy Gazer
I uh tried but am still unsure. I compared them to my female and they look a bit different so I think my only option right now is to just keep them separate for the night and then take them to the vet tomorrow. Thank you for the help.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
That image looks like a female.

Trust me when I say when you feel for the bone in the penis on a male guinea pig there is no mistaking it, particularly if you compare it to a known female, it will feel like a very firm line just under the skin above the genitals whereas females will feel just soft and squishy there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.