Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much? Are these lettuces ok? What about their calcium?

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
The store was out of red leaf, green leaf, and butterhead lettuce, so we had to get a package of *artisan* lettuce lol

Does anyone know if Red and Green Gem, Red/Green Oak Leaf, and Red/Green Tango are ok for piggies? How much can they have? And what is their calcium content...is it equivalent to romaine?

My one piggie Robin Hood never has problems with calcium, but my other Friar Tuck does get calcium powder in his urine if he gets cilantro or romaine more than a few days in a row.

Hopefully I can figure it out before tomorrow morning, which is their lettuce breakfast time--- they'll be very unimpressed with my room service if they can't have it! lol Thanks for any help!!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Thank you!! I think it's closer to romaine than green/red leaf. When I google it, and with the answers in your links, it says green leaf is 13 mg of calcium; romaine 28 mg; and the Tango around 20 mg.

How did your piggy(s) do with the artisan lettuce you got?

Last edited:

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Mine liked the green lettuces best, and especially the course ones with jagged edges. I don’t know if they’re more bitter, but it’s the same with spring mix. She’s not really much of a fan of red lettuce. I only bought them a few times and never noticed any issues healthwise.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
That's interesting, because red lettuce seems to almost always be at least a little higher in calcium then green!
My Friar Tuck loves pretty much any lettuce, but Robin Hood is the opposite of your piggy--- he's finicky with green leaf and always wants romaine. He's young; only around 6 months, so maybe he still craves calcium a little. Or maybe he's just picky lol
I'll definitely try the new lettuces with them now, thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.