Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Guinea pigs poop longer / farting

JenniferTyler

Cavy Slave
Hi. My guinea pig, Cocoa, has been farting? I don’t understand, and she’s also had poops that have been longer than usual for both her and our other piggie. Sometimes, they’re a little mashed up too, but she’s eating vegetables, hay, and pellets, as well as drinking water. Does anybody have any ideas as to what is happening?

How many veggies are you feeding her?

Are you feeding any treats or food that has yogurt or other diary in it?

About a cup a day, and we feed her once in the morning (6:00 am) and at night (8:00 pm)

As far as I know, the treats that we give her don’t have dairy in them.

Is she an adult pig? And what veggies do you feed?

Lettuce, Cabbage, radicchio, cucumber, carrots, green beans, green leaf lettuce is what we usually mix with

Lettuce, Cabbage, radicchio, cucumber, carrots, green beans, green leaf lettuce is what we usually mix with

Forget cabbage. That and broccoli, cauliflower etc is not food for gps.

Also, I don't buy the 1 cup a day veggies if they have quality pellets like kms or oxbow. When I give too much, especially cucumber or lettuce, it shows in the poops. Not good especially since my girl naturally drinks a good amount of water daily.

Given that the poops are soft, I'd also cut out cucumber for a while. You may be able to add some of these things back if her poop firms up, but I'd wait for several days after things have stabilized before I started adding anything back. And add it back one at a time, and in small quantities.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.