Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size How big should my cage be?

• Thread starter harleyholyhonda
  • Start date

harleyholyhonda

Cavy Slave
I was given 5 bonded male guinea pigs they shared a 2X4 cage. Would a 3X5 be enough for them. if not what would be big enough?

(The person that had them before me could no longer take care of them.)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No way. I'm surprised they haven't killed each other in a 2x4. How old are they?

Five male guinea pigs need at least 20 square feet. If you're using grids, that's a 4x5, or a 6x3.

harleyholyhonda

Cavy Slave
the 2 oldest ones are about 6 months then its the other 3 are 5 months, 4 months and 3 months.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ohhh, they're not bonded. They're just about to hit puberty, and then the bomb drops.

If I were you, I'd start making preparations for multiple cages.

harleyholyhonda

Cavy Slave
The oldest 2 are brothers, and have never been apart. Could i keep them together and the 3 younger ones together? If so how big big should each of the cages be?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The oldest 2 are brothers, and have never been apart. Could i keep them together and the 3 younger ones together? If so how big big should each of the cages be?

We really only recommend boars as pairs, and you'd end up with a single pig. I've even tried a boar trio myself, and as expected it failed miserably. I had two babies paired with a senior boar, and as soon as the babies hit puberty the attacks on the senior started from one of the babies.

You could get a sixth pig and have 3 cages, Or rehome one and have four with two cages. Those are your best chances at success.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @Guinea Pig Papa. Three boars together fails about 99% of the time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.