Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting What to do with new pigs (never added before)

Meekers

Cavy Gazer
Hi,

I have two older girls, and am adding two more this weekend. I won't have the many hours required to introduce them properly until the next day. My current pair came bonded and I have not had to do this before.

Do I
A- split the 2x6 C C cage in half letting them see eachother but have no access?
B- keep the new pigs in a temporary cage in another room
C- something else you suggest?

I am not concerned with quarantine, because they are known to be healthy , vet checked, and from a reliable source.

**If I split the big cage in half for the night, should I still rewash everything the next day before giving each set full access? I plan on trying the buddy bath, then a couple hours of floor time in a brand new area, then putting them into a 2x6 cage.

Thanks!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I would go with option B.

Option A could lead to bar chewing, and it could increase potential aggression during the introductions as your existing girls might get quite uptight from spending the night next to new girls.

Meekers

Cavy Gazer
I would go with option B.

Option A could lead to bar chewing, and it could increase potential aggression during the introductions as your existing girls might get quite uptight from spending the night next to new girls.

Thanks- this is what I needed to know!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.