Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions How to tell if my Guinea pig has gas/bloat!!!!

Qwertage

Cavy Slave
I have a Guinea pig that is very wide on the sides. She looks like a pear. I can't tell if shes suppose to look like this? Or if this serious like gas bloat. I need help.. shes still eating her food, she eats her pellets and drinks her water, still eating hay, she doesnt squeak or seem to be uncomfortable with I push on her sides. How do I know if shes just fat or if its gas bloat?.

Veggies I give her daily
Leaf green
Small carrot
Small piece tomatoe
Cilantro
Green pepper or yellow pepper or red pepper
Fennel
Cucumber

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Bloat is a very serious illness, and a pig that has it won't be eating/drinking/behaving normally.

Guinea pigs don't all look alike any more than people do. Some are skinny, some are not. Some are small, some are large. Some are shaped like pears, others are not. With what you've described, I wouldn't worry at all.

But, is there any chance she's pregnant?

Qwertage

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure. They had her with a Male I'm sure before I got her. I've only had her for 44 days. But when I get her I took her to the vet for a wellness check and they didnt say anything about it. Unless it was too early.

Qwertage

Cavy Slave
How to tell if my Guinea pig has gas/bloat!!!!How to tell if my Guinea pig has gas/bloat!!!!BEFORE AND AFTER PICTURES. IVE HAD her for 44 days just about. is she pregnant!? shes much bigger now.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She may be, she may not be. I had the most pregnant-looking guinea pig you ever saw who had never even seen a male pig, much less cohabited with one.

Go by the signs in that link I gave you.

Do you have any idea how old she is? Or if she's had a previous litter?

Qwertage

Cavy Slave
Update- I put my hand on her belly and she is 100% pregnant. I felt moving. I'm not sure what to do at this point or how far along she is. But I'm guessing since I've had her for 46 days already she will be giving birth within the next 2 weeks or so. Do I take her to the vet ? Do I leave her with her cage mates?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Do you know how old she is? Or whether she's had a previous litter?

If you know she's younger than about nine months, or if you know she's had a previous litter, there's probably no need for a vet visit. But if you don't know that she's had a previous litter and you're not sure about her age, a vet visit for an ultrasound or x-ray wouldn't be a bad idea. Pelvic ligaments stiffen as a pig ages, and while that doesn't absolutely mean that they can't deliver, it does raise the risk considerably. If she has a very large pup inside, she may need emergency help during labor. But if she has several smaller ones, she may be able to deliver by herself. Going to the vet now means you'll be ahead of the game in case you need an emergency visit later on.

You can leave her with her cage mates. Guinea pig sows generally make excellent aunties, and will help raise the pups. And leaving them all together means you won't have to do reintroductions later. However, you need to make sure your cage is large enough for all of them, because the pups' ears will get eaten if they're too crowded. And very occasionally you'll run into the one-in-a-thousand sow that doesn't like the pups and will harass them. In that case, you'll have to separate either the mom and the pups or the bullying sow.

Qwertage

Cavy Slave
She is about 8 months I'm guessing? I dont know if she has had a litter before this one.
I have a c&c cage right now its alittle smaller then a 3 by 5 How to tell if my Guinea pig has gas/bloat!!!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
At eight months, it won't matter if she's had a previous litter -- she's young enough that the pelvic ligaments haven't stiffened.

How many cagemates does she have?

I'd take the pillow and the tunnel out so they've got plenty of room to get around. And I'd drape some fleece or fleece forests in strategic places so they aren't always in each other's line of sight.

I'd also put one of the hay bins in the other end of the cage so there's plenty of room for everyone to get to the hay without any crowding at all.

And, if those red tunnels are the ones held together by molasses, I'd throw them away. They have too much sugar for guinea pigs.

Qwertage

Cavy Slave
She has 2 cage mates. I have 3 sows in total. And I think the red tunnels are the edible logz. They have alfalfa hay in then but I'm not sure what is holding it together

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Then I'd pitch the logs. Almost all those things have too much sugar in them for guinea pigs to eat.

Qwertage

Cavy Slave
Is there anything you would recommend to replace them? They just really like hiding under them . They dont really chew on it too much. They like chewing on their wood house more than anything

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fiddlesticks, children's step stools from the dollar store, upside down shoe boxes with doors cut in each end, PVC pipe (six inch diameter), folded grids covered with book jackets, whatever. Look in the Photo Galleries on this site.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
folded grids covered with book jackets

Not quite sure how one would "fold" a grid. ;-)

I happen to be a fan of bent grids covered with an extra large book jacket. I often buy the book jackets at the end of the season in WalMart.

How to tell if my Guinea pig has gas/bloat!!!! How to tell if my Guinea pig has gas/bloat!!!! How to tell if my Guinea pig has gas/bloat!!!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Looks folded to me. Just sayin... :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.