Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Besides fleece

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Some in the past 2 years mentioned using something other than fleece. I think it was velvet, that the hay and such brushed and shook off very easy. I want to stop using mini flakes but I can't stand long enough to beat the hay and such off the fleece. Does anyone remember?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's definitely not velvet, but I can't remember what it is. PM Lissie, she'll know.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I will, thanks!

LunchBunchPiggi

Cavy Slave
Microsuede! I only know this because it's also used in cloth diapering and basically the same fabric rules apply between baby behinds and guinea pig feet regarding a layer that will promote wicking and an absorbing layer.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Right!

It works very well. It just comes in disgusting colors...

LunchBunchPiggi

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I bet it works great for piggies, but fleece has so many more options. The suedecloth is almost always very muted colors, "colorful neutrals" as the interior design world is fond of calling them. I like all my colors and prints too much to ever give that up I think!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Microsuede! I only know this because it's also used in cloth diapering and basically the same fabric rules apply between baby behinds and guinea pig feet regarding a layer that will promote wicking and an absorbing layer.

Thanks a bunch!

LunchBunchPiggi

Cavy Slave
The first link actually probably won't be a good match! The second one you'd need to contact the seller for care instructions. The problem with microsuede is that it's not all made the same. You have to pay close attention to the care instructions listed for the fabric and be 100% sure you're getting one that is machine washable. The first one you just linked only lists "wipe with a damp cloth" for cleaning instructions, so I wouldn't go with that one. Three things to look for: 1) is it labeled microsuede, 2) is it 100% polyester fabric, 3) is it machine washable. If it checks all three of those boxes you should be good!

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
You might want to try the plush blizzard fleece sold at Joann Fabrics. It has a smooth silky texture and the hay doesn’t stick to it as much. It also washes and wears better because it doesn’t pill like regular fleece. I have several pieces for my piggie cage and I’ve also used it to make mats.

I layer fleece, a microfiber towel, and a woven or polyester fabric and sew them together on my serger. They are absorbent and easy to wash and dry. The fleece side is nice for comfy bedding and the woven side is great to use for a haystack since it’s easy to brush off and clean.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.