Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Best Bedding to Reduce Smell

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
Hello Everyone,
I haven't been on in probably a year, but I am finally able to adopt more pigs. I have been searching around for the best bedding to use. I would like to use fleece in some way, but the absorbent material underneath is what I can't decide on. I've narrowed it down to u-haul furniture pads, or wood pellets underneath the fleece. I'm leaning towards the wood pellets since I've used that in the past, but I just want your guys' suggestions on this. What do you guys think is the best absorbent material that keeps the smell away? My parents really hate having the pigs smell, and I'm afraid that they'll change their minds if it smells bad. Any ideas and suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks guys!
~PiggieLove13 <3

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Wood pellets, hands down. I went nine months without having to change mine out, and could have gone longer but I needed to move the cage.

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
When the wood pellets are wet, don't they turn into a kind of dust? Wouldn't that stick to the fleece when it's wet?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They turn into sawdust which packs down, and yes, some of it sticks to the fleece. But it shakes off pretty well. I just wash it in a pillow case or fine mesh laundry bag.

PiggieLove13

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info! I'm getting my pigs next weekend and I'm super excited to just cuddle with one. It's been so long since Coco passed..but now I can make new friends :)
Have a great week!

CavyPpl

Cavy Slave
They turn into sawdust which packs down, and yes, some of it sticks to the fleece. But it shakes off pretty well. I just wash it in a pillow case or fine mesh laundry bag.

Where do you buy your wood pellets from? I'm planning on rearranging my cage to make two 2x6 so how many bags should i plan on using?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd put two bags in each cage, and you won't have to change the pellets for a year.

I use TerrAmigo, which is horse stall bedding that I buy at a feed store near me. You can use wood stove pellets, but you have to be sure they don't smell strongly of pine and that they don't have any accelerants added. They should cost around $6-$8 per bag. Anything more and you've got the wrong kind of pellets.

CavyPpl

Cavy Slave
I'd put two bags in each cage, and you won't have to change the pellets for a year.

I use TerrAmigo, which is horse stall bedding that I buy at a feed store near me. You can use wood stove pellets, but you have to be sure they don't smell strongly of pine and that they don't have any accelerants added. They should cost around $6-$8 per bag. Anything more and you've got the wrong kind of pellets.

Would any horse stall bedding work? Or is there something I should look out for?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It can't smell strongly of pine.

diazsjonathan8

Cavy Slave
I mix shredded aspen with Fresh News and I have no problem with odors in the cage. Fleece does require more work to keep odor away, you do have to wash it frequently. It's a trade-off, you work harder with fleece liners but you spend less money than on loose bedding. If you're struggling with odor then you might be happier with bedding rather than liners. I only use fleece liners with my neat rats, but my super messy guys do great on loose bedding. Their bedding doesn't smell even after a week, I only end up changing it for sanitary purposes because there is no smell by cleaning day. Previously their cage would stink after 8 hours on the fleece.
Regadrs,

Last edited by a moderator:

buenavides1

Cavy Gazer
I am currently using a paper bedding because it is soft, absorbent, and good at odor control.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.