Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Adopted older sow a week ago and she is bullying younger sow

garry

Cavy Gazer
Before I knew it was not appropriate to buy a guinea pig from the pet store, I bought my guinea pig who is now around 8 or 9 weeks old. A week ago, I adopted her a buddy who is about a year old. A rescue volunteer did the introduction. There was lots of lunging, loud teeth chattering at the younger sow, and straight up attacking of the younger pig, but the rescue lady swore that the pairing was okay. Coming back home, I let them interact in a neutral area for a decent amount of time before putting them in the same cage. I fear that the younger pig is getting bullied by the older one. Wherever the younger one goes, the older one quickly follows and nips her on the butt making the younger one squeal. They seem to not be able to be near eachother without the older one pushing her away. When I hand feed veggies, whenever the baby is eating the older pig will come and nip her in the butt. Every other nip, the baby will squirt her pee at the older sow and she'll back off for a few minutes before going back at it. They are in a 4x3 c&c cage with a 3x1 loft. I have given them 2 sets of hay, pellets, and water. The younger one seems to be confined to her hidey until the older sow goes to sleep to where she can escape and grab a quick bite. As soon as the older pig wakes up, she'll be back at chasing the younger pig around the cage making her squeel. Even while in the a hidey (all which have more than one exit), the older pig will come and chase her out and start another chase fest around the cage. Over the past week I have heard loads of squeezing and witnessed masses of pee squirting. However, blood has never been drawn and I do not see any physical harm on the baby. Is this going to continue to happen? Will it get better? The rescue is willing to take the older sow back if it is not a good match. Will there be a better match out there that won't cause the baby terror?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Others are probably going to tell you to be patient and that successful paring takes time. Quite honestly, having been in the same situation with a pair of boars, I would take the older sow back while they are willing to accept the return. This does not sound like a successful pair and I wouldn't want the baby to be traumatized and have behavior problems of her own.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I agree. By this time they should at least tolerate each other and that’s not happening. I wouldn’t continue to allow the young pig to be traumatized, fearful, and afraid to come out and eat. No one is happy with this relationship.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.