Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick My gp is making crackling sounds.

Rx0111

Cavy Gazer
Hello everyone. This is my first time posting anything, need your opinions please. So today after I took my 2 gps out for floor time I noticed Coco,my 4 year old abyssinian was making crackling sounds. My wife and I feed them fresh veggies and fruit 3 times a day, we feed them pellets recommended by their vet,clean their cage regularly, get them treats, I believe we treat them like babies. We're started to worry and do research since we have never heard her before making that kind of noise and she seems to be eating and drinking fine , exercising regularly and her pooping is normal. She also seems to be having a slight eye discharge. Coco and my other pg Momo have been constantly fighting ( basically just Momo trying yo mount Coco)
Maybe this has made poor Coco stressed and she's making these noises now because of that. I'm no expert but I've been reading up a lot of these cases. It seems like Coco could have a UTI but I hope not. I will take her to the vet if this doesn't stop in a day or two but i would like to know what you all think about this, anything like this happened to your piggies? Any solutions or ideas of what it could be? Thank you.[video=youtube_share;zqBQJCXerdc]https://youtu.be/zqBQJCXerdc[/video]

Sounds like she has a stuffy nose, and her eyes definitely look like they're watering a bit. It does indeed look like she could possibly have an early URI. I'd say that if she isn't better by tomorrow, I'd take her to the vet. URIs can potentially be dangerous, so it's not a good idea to wait too long if you suspect one. The earlier she can get treatment the faster she can recover.

Coco has what sounds to me like the beginning of an upper respiratory infection. The eye discharge tells me the same.

If she were my pig, I'd be calling the vet first thing in the morning. URI's can be especially dangerous, and they can move with frightening speed.

Ditto Little Squeakers and Guinea Pig Papa.

Thank you so much Little Squeakers , Guinea pig papa and bpatters for your advices. Coco did not make the crackling noise today and her eyes have less discharge. I called the vet and set an appointment for this week. Hopefully she goes back to normal in no time. I'll keep you all updated.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.