Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Fleece in Kitchen vs Aspen

bbxylee.m

Cavy Slave
What are your experiences with fleece in the kitchen area? I used to not use any aspen, but when my boys were on fleece it would soil so quickly and was hard to clean. Was i doing something wrong or is that just how it goes? Aspen is also giving me issues, but thats only because i don't have an actual kitchen. I've searched the forum for answers but didnt find anything.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
To my understanding, a kitchen area typically uses some sort of disposable bedding. I've always had good luck with using Carefresh in a kitchen area. It's way more absorbent than aspen, if a bit pricey.

bbxylee.m

Cavy Slave
I have the Cavy Cafe purchased from the Guinea Pig Cages Store and in it, I have a 1"X2" fleece liner. On top of the liner, I place a small rug 23" long by 15" inches wide that I purchased from Ikea. I put their hay container on top of the small rug. The rug keeps the liner from getting too soiled and I can easily take it outside and shake the excess hay off of it. I purchased several of these small rugs and I change them out as necessary. I usually only need to change the fleece liner every 3 or 4 days. One of my pigs occasionally likes to go all the way to the end of the Cafe and urinate there.

If you are interested in the Cavy Cafe, I can completely recommend it. My hay is contained nicely it in and my pigs have no problem jumping over the small ledge.
3 or 4? Wow! That's like a dream for me. I clean the 'kitchen' every night and shake out the fleece in front of it everyday. What type of of fabric is the rug you use? Im in the process of making a 4x4 cage, and im not really sure what to do for the kitchen, would a cavy cafe still work?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.