Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

SuperSweet?s Piggies

SuperSweet123

Cavy Slave
In SuperSweet and I just adopted two young female piggies. I?m totally new and I?m still trying to figure out how to post on my own blog.

SuperSweet123

Cavy Slave
Also, I was thinking about giving my piggies a bath and using an all natural puppy shampoo. The one we found seemed really good but it has lavender in it. I didn’t know if it was ok to use items with lavender in it on your piggies. Please help I don’t know what to do.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

If you're going to bathe your piggies, there are special shampoos just for that. Nothing else is really suitable for them.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't recommend using anything that has a strong scent on a guinea pig as the perfumes can be very irritating to them and they have sensitive respiratory tracts. You want to use a shampoo that says "pH balanced" on the label; these are typically the gentler shampoos that are safe for small animals.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
One of the issues (in addition to those already mentioned) with using any type of shampoo except that formulated for cavies, ferrets, etc. is that most of them will suds too much and take forever to get out of your piggy's fur. Squeaky Clean is low suds and can be rinsed off with a single rinsing. You don't want the process to take any longer than absolutely necessary, and easy to get all the shampoo off so that it doesn't dry the skin.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.