Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Question about companionship

terpfan99

Cavy Slave
My friend's guinea pig recently had babies (a pet store sold them a pregnant female) and they were trying to give away the males. I took one of them because I recently got a third guinea pig (Gabe) and he didn't get along with my other two so I had to separate them and I figured he could use a friend. Anyhow, the new baby male I got seems to be getting along well with Gabe, but I recently called my friend and it turns out he still has one of the males left. I kind of want to take him too because I don't want my friend to give it to a shelter, but will he bond back with his brother and will they gang up on Gabe? I love guinea pigs, but I don't want problems with fighting again.

Since the male has not be exposed to females, you should not have any real fighting between Gabe, baby 1, and baby 2. You will, however, have dominance spats while the piggies determine who is first, second, and third. Piggies don't "gang up". They follow the pecking order. To keep the spats to the minimum, I think the sooner you adopt the baby the better.

Sorry to disagree, but adolescent males exposed to females exhibit "alpha-male" development, and are more agressive with other males. Those that are not exposed to females are more likely to form a cooperative colony.

Sorry to disagree, but adolescent males exposed to females exhibit "alpha-male" development, and are more agressive with other males. Those that are not exposed to females are more likely to form a cooperative colony.
That is a load of rubbish. I have had both adolescent males and females and have never seen these behaviors.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.