Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Blood in urine? UTI?

Graceful.piggy

Cavy Gazer
My poor pig :( we took her to the vet the other day because she?s been mysteriously losing hair (though I see her itch and pull it out) so before we do anything major (such as surgery for a ovarian cyst) both the vet and my family decided to try some anti fungus/parasite meds and see if that treats anything. I got them yesterday and have yet to actually try them on her, (which I?m planning to do tomorrow) but then tonight I was looking at her and I noticed she had blood in her pee and a little in her poo. I thought that it may be from the strawberry I gave her earlier but then I saw some dark red on her behind. It looks like a decent amount but I have never had a guinea pig bleed before so I wouldn?t know.

she doesn?t squeak in pain when she pees, though she does go to the bathroom quite a bit. Is it a uti? I?m really hoping not.. this pig is costing us a lot! Any way to treat a uti (if it is) at home? How serious are they?

Why are you waiting to treat her for the hair loss and itching? She's probably miserable, and the sooner you start the treatment, the quicker she'll get relief.

I agree, she needs to see a vet about the bleeding. If it's dark red, it may be from her reproductive tract rather than her bladder. Either way, it's nothing you can treat yourself.

Are you seeing an exotic vet? A small animal vet is generally a waste of time and money, as they get almost no education/training in the care of exotics. You'll save money in the long run by finding a good exotic vet.

Why are you waiting to treat her for the hair loss and itching? She's probably miserable, and the sooner you start the treatment, the quicker she'll get relief.

I agree, she needs to see a vet about the bleeding. If it's dark red, it may be from her reproductive tract rather than her bladder. Either way, it's nothing you can treat yourself.

Are you seeing an exotic vet? A small animal vet is generally a waste of time and money, as they get almost no education/training in the care of exotics. You'll save money in the long run by finding a good exotic vet.

I will talk to my mother about it.. not exactly sure how soon I can get her in. The bleeding has seemed to stop. Behavior wise she?s acting perfectly normal. As far as treatment for her hairloss I?ve had quite the busy day yesterday and am doing it today. It?s bathing and that takes some time,

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.