Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece What sewing machine to use to sew foam cubes

Taylo165

Cavy Gazer
I want to know what sewing machines other cozy makers use to be able to sew through foam without jamming or skipped stiches. Thank you

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know about the sewing machine, but foam isn't a good thing to put in pig cages. It will shortly begin to stink, and it's hard to get the odor out. And if the pigs can chew through the material covering it and ingest the foam, it can kill them.

Taylo165

Cavy Gazer
I don't know about the sewing machine, but foam isn't a good thing to put in pig cages. It will shortly begin to stink, and it's hard to get the odor out. And if the pigs can chew through the material covering it and ingest the foam, it can kill them.

my guinea pigs have never chewed through fleece. That same thing could be said about liners, sacks, pads etc. I've never heard of that happening either.

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's true, they don't usually chew through fleece. But your post didn't mention it. I just wanted you to know that foam is a danger if they can get to it.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Usually some form of cotton batting is used in combo with uhaul inside huts, cubes and cuddles cups.

For me it's important to have a really strong needle for sewing pig stuff as it's usually pretty thick. My machine is some ancient singer thing that was my great grandmothers from the early 1900's. The thing works brilliantly as long as I have a heavy duty needle on it. I think what I'm using right now is an industrial strength leather one and I've had no issues.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.