Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Wanting to introduce the right way

rmeht

Cavy Slave
I?m in the process of adopting a little fella from a family acquaintance. He and his brother and sister lost their momma at 2 weeks. She assured me that they?re eating well and gaining weight.

My guy is on his third week of ivermectin. I hadn?t planned on bringing the new piggie into our home for another week and a half. Do you think that?s long enough? Which leads to my next question, should I quarantine the new guy before putting them together and for how long?

I also read that when introducing it should be on neutral ground, my guy is estimated to be around 8-10 weeks and the new guy will be 3 or so. Am I making a dumb decision not waiting till my guy is a little older? I just don?t want him to be lonely! (We get him out 2-3 times a day, but I still hear him calling me when I simply walk into the room, which warms my heart but I wonder if he’s lonely).

With my guy being ~ 3 months is it safe to give them both some alfalfa based pellets? Or should I try to separate their feeding. I know I need 2 of everything, but didn’t know if I had to get two different types of pellets and hay.

Thanks so so much for any input!

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you trust the people who had the new pig, you can skip quarantine.

Introduce sooner rather than later -- the younger the baby is, the less likely you are to have squabbles, although there will certainly be some drama when the young one hits puberty. Make sure you've got a large enough cage -- two boars need at least 11-12 square feet, and more is better.

See https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html for introduction instructions.

rmeht

Cavy Slave
I read the blog post that you posted. Great info, thank you!!! So I was thinking of building a C&C cage that was 2x3 grids with a 1x2 second story. 1st & 2nd stories equal out to 11.48 sq ft. Hopefully this is enough for the two guys? If not, maybe I can run an L shape along the wall?

rmeht

Cavy Slave
I read the blog post that you posted. Great info, thank you!!! So I was thinking of building a C&C cage that was 2x3 grids with a 1x2 second story. 1st & 2nd stories equal out to 11.48 sq ft. Hopefully this is enough for the two guys? If not, maybe I can run an L shape along the wall?

Ok so after reading lots and lots, I now know that I'll to have to figure something else out.

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Where are you trying to put the cage? We can help you figure out somewhere that you can have a 2x5 cxc cage for your two boys :) It is great you are doing so much reading and learning about them!

rmeht

Cavy Slave
Where are you trying to put the cage? We can help you figure out somewhere that you can have a 2x5 cxc cage for your two boys :) It is great you are doing so much reading and learning about them!

I am planning on putting it in my kids room. They have the most open space and is pretty versatile. They currently have a loft bed but has a desks on on side and dressers on the other, I could probably make a 3x4 under it. The other option is to do a 2x5 along the opposite wall? I was originally going to build his cage on a train table, but that’s not going to be big enough. I’m going to order some more grids tomorrow. I already have my Coroplast.

rmeht

Cavy Slave
Meet Peaches and Patches ;) Wanting to introduce the right way

Introducrions went so much better than I could have hoped!!! My heart is overflowing with gladness. When I woke up this morning and checked on them they were both sleeping in the fleece tunnel I had made them.

A bit later my son grabbed the baby, Patches, and hadn’t been back to grab Praches yet and he was zooming around his cage and actually jumped out! So I believe I’ll have to run to the store and get more grids to make a top..... as much as I hate to.... but I don’t want him hurting himself after I get it off the floor. I’m wondering if the baby getting taken out of the cage and him being left alone might have given him the incentive to jump out?

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Your boys are adorable! No wonder the family has fallen in love with them. :love:

As you are contemplating the size of and location for the cage, I do need to interject a consideration. As a healthcare professional, a word of caution about putting the cavy cage in the kids' bedroom. It's not a good idea to have pets sleeping in one's bedroom despite the fact that millions of folks do just that........and without any obvious problem. The issue comes when anyone in that bedroom has an allergic tendency which often leads to respiratory issues. This becomes a major consideration with anyone with asthmatic tendencies.

Humans are rarely truly allergic to the cavies themselves, but are often allergic to hay, and in particular timothy hay. We can be overly sensitive to urine, feces, pellet dust, etc., not to mention the odors that abound. If you are adamant about putting the piggies in their bedroom, then most definitely invest in a good air purifier. I love the quality of the Homedics line! I have had one running 24/7 for more than 7 years! They are a bit pricy, but worth every penny of the initial outlay. I take the filter out monthly and brush it off, and simply replace it once a year. You can buy them from other suppliers, but I used a 20% off coupon and bought mine from BBB. (broken link removed)
If you haven't done so, do consider getting the cage(s) off the floor. It will be less drafty, easier on the back to clean, and the boys will be less intimidated by the giants who seem to hover over them. Sounds as though you are well on the way to becoming a cavy slave like the rest of us! :cool:

rmeht

Cavy Slave
Very good point. Our house is very small so their room is about the only option we have. Ill run and grab a purifier when I grab more grids! Thanks for the advice!!

wheekermommy

Cavy Slave
Do you have any hideouts that Peaches could have climbed on top of and then jumped out? My brilliant Luna used to climb on top of them and then hop out of the cage if if I was late with dinner :rolleyes: I didn't want to put a lid on so I just connected one grid above where the tunnel was so she couldn't use it to hop out. We haven't had any problems since.

rmeht

Cavy Slave
I watched him do it. He was zooming around his cage and did what looked like a ninja move....jumped on the wall and then jumped to the floor..... pretty impressive since he jumped a full 2.5 ft across his cage to the floor. He hasn’t don’t it again. I seriously think he got jealous that baby got taken from the cage and he was left there. If he does it again I’ll definitely put a top on it.... :sad:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.