Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy My first piggy may be pregnant!

GusGus1

Cavy Slave
On December 26th I rescued a 1 year old guinea pig that I was told was a male... she wasn?t. Owner was giving her away because she had another male that was being dominate (mounting) the piggy I received. Common sense should have clued me into my piggy actually being a girl but she is my first so I had no idea. It?s now been 56 days with her in my care and she?s a very smart and sweet little animal. But here?s my dilemma... she?s gained weight in her hips, drinks two 4 ounce bottles of water a day (sometimes more), and she has recently been getting mad at me anytime I try to touch her belly. She?s showing every sign of pregnancy from what I can tell but I can?t find any small animal vet near me to take her to. Could anyone on here tell from pictures of she could be pregnant? First picture is from the first week I had her beside a picture of her tonight.
My first piggy may be pregnant!

Attachments

504B33C1-075C-4A09-B3D8-EFA112D64BA8.jpg

GusGus1

Cavy Slave
I’m definitely feeling two, maybe three walnut sized objects when I use the method in that link! From all the background information I was given on her she is around a year old and never had pups before. I’m really scared that she may not be able to deliver them. I’m still feeding her Timothy hay but I have been giving her alfalfa pellets, do I need to switch to alfalfa hay also? I’ve read a lot of conflicting opinions on which hay to feed her and when.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The alfalfa pellets are fine -- she doesn't need both alfalfa pellets AND alfalfa hay, and neither do the pups.

She may be able to deliver them. The stiffening of the pelvic ligaments that can cause problems with delivery doesn't happen overnight, and it can begin at different times in different pigs. But if you're worried, you can take her for an x-ray. That would show whether there's one very large pup that might cause problems, or if they're all normal sized.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.