Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size 2x versus 3x

dawnmb57

Cavy Slave
I have noticed that cages seem to use two grids on the shorter end. I used three. Is there any reason 2x is the standard?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

lissie

Cavy Slave
Because most people don't have space for a 3x cage. It's also harder to reach if it's on a stand or table.

It's nice that you have space for a 3x cage.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Soecara

Cavy Slave
The main reasons I can think of for the 2 grid wide standard are simply convenience and practicality.

It is often easier to fit a 2 grid wide cage into living spaces in a manageable and practical fashion. Also for shorter individuals, or for individuals who have a somewhat limited range of mobility, (particularly if the cage is raised off the floor) it can be difficult or impossible to reach all areas in a 3 grid wide cage to properly clean it.

If you are able to accommodate a 3 grid wide cage and maintaining it is manageable for you then there is no reason not to chose a 3 grid wide instead of a 2 grid wide, in most cases guinea pigs do greatly appreciate the extra width.

SomethingFunny

Cavy Slave
I have a 3 wide cage and they're a little more tricky to clean. To sweep the back corners I have to get on tip-toe and lean way over, (my cage is at about kitchen-counter height and I'm 5'3"). I don't find it to be a problem, if you have any back or mobility issues it might be better to stick with the 2 wide.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.