Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss scabs and flaky skin

englishphoenix

Cavy Gazer
Found a pig that was free to a good home, so I went to look at him and there is something wrong.
I've managed to get a vet appointment for the 21st but I was hoping that I could get some on advice n how to help him in the mean time?
It looks very sore. :(I'm thinking mites or fungal?

scabs and flaky skin
scabs and flaky skin
scabs and flaky skin

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fungus. Apply Nystatin or Lotrimin sparingly twice a day with a q-tip and rub in well. Do this for a week. If you don't see improvement, or if it gets worse, switch to a triple antibiotic cream, applied the same way. If it does improve on the Nystatin/Lotrimin, keep using it until the hair is back in -- it takes a while to get rid of a fungus.

englishphoenix

Cavy Gazer
Fungus. Apply Nystatin or Lotrimin sparingly twice a day with a q-tip and rub in well. Do this for a week. If you don't see improvement, or if it gets worse, switch to a triple antibiotic cream, applied the same way. If it does improve on the Nystatin/Lotrimin, keep using it until the hair is back in -- it takes a while to get rid of a fungus.

Thank you so much!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.