Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance My two young male piggies seem more aggresive towards eachother than usual

Maggie.

Cavy Slave
Hello, as seen in my previous posts, I have two male guinea pigs, each about 4-5 months old. They have recently been more aggresive towards eachother than they used to be. There is no full-on fights, no bloodshed or other physical damage, but they just seem to argue every time they come close to each other. By that I mean, rumblestrutting, fluffing up their fur, teeth-chattering, bum-wiggling, throwing heads up and sometimes mounting. I am housing them in a 150?80cm cage (5x2,5 ft) with a second floor (150?40cm - 5x1,5ft) so I'm quite positive that the cage is not the issue. Could this just be them growing up more or could there be another issue? Im honestly not sure if I may be providing them with too litte stimulation (they do have several hidies and a little bridge) but if thats the problem, then what should I do?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
Hello, as seen in my previous posts, I have two male guinea pigs, each about 4-5 months old. They have recently been more aggresive towards eachother than they used to be. There is no full-on fights, no bloodshed or other physical damage, but they just seem to argue every time they come close to each other. By that I mean, rumblestrutting, fluffing up their fur, teeth-chattering, bum-wiggling, throwing heads up and sometimes mounting. I am housing them in a 150?80cm cage (5x2,5 ft) with a second floor (150?40cm - 5x1,5ft) so I'm quite positive that the cage is not the issue. Could this just be them growing up more or could there be another issue? Im honestly not sure if I may be providing them with too litte stimulation (they do have several hidies and a little bridge) but if thats the problem, then what should I do?

Completely normal gp behavior I would not worry about it unless it gets really physical

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave

Also do you take them out for floortime?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Maggie.

Cavy Slave
I've tried to take them out for floor time before but honestly they dont seem quite interested. They are scared and just sit in the house. I can keep trying but Im not sure if it'll accomplish anything. I do take them out for laptime once a day though.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They're hitting puberty. This is normal behavior for two boars. Their cage seems big enough, but more space with boars is ALWAYS better, so give them as much as you can. They're sorting out who the dominant pig will be. As long as there's no full on fights or bloodshed, let them sort it out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.