Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Introducing Your Guinea Pigs to a NEW HUMAN?

RubyxDaisy115

Cavy Gazer
So I've recently gotten 2 new piggies, and this is my frist time owning guinea pigs, and I've had them for a few days now. OMG I LOVE THEM ALREADY, their names are Ruby and Daisy, two females. I have successfully moved into lap time with Daisy but Ruby has been a bit more apprehensive. I live with my boyfriend of two years, however he's not home too often because of work so he's not been able to really introduce himself to them. Does any one have any tips on how to introduce your baby piggies to new people? They are both familiar with me, and are comfortable with me talking to them, reaching in their cage, cleaning themselves in front of me, and eating in front of me. If I'm lucky they'll let me pet them! and Ruby loves letting me feed her from my hand. They also LOVE when I sing to them. But they don't really know my boyfriend at all, but I do think they know his voice.

I guess my question is: should I introduce my piggies to my boyfriend or should I teach him how to introduce himself to them?

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Mine do best if the new person feeds them carrots, they usually warm right up to anyone feeding them veggies (even shy Penny will cave in after a few veggie feedings).

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Bribery is the trick lol! Get your boyfriend to offer them treats, but also just chat to them and hang out near their cage when he can. Just being in the room will help them get used to his scent and the sound of his voice.

Peanut_Butter2

Cavy Slave
I completely agree my guinea pigs used to hate my older sister still she started helping out with hay and now they love her!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Bribery, bribery, bribery. I even went so far as apple slices to get mine to eat out of my hand the first time, then red peppers, then carrots, now one is super good about laptime, the other, less so, but still fine as long as there is food involved ��

RubyxDaisy115

Cavy Gazer
Okay awesome, so Bribery is the trick! Also having him spend some time talking to them and such. That makes sense. Thanks you guys!!

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
I don't know how willing your boyfriend is to read out loud, but my daughter spent a lot of time reading to her pigs so they got used to her voice. He could read anything - the paper, Sports Illustrated, a photography magazine, a blog or forum, heck he could read the stock market page, they don't care lol - whatever he is interested in. Just another thought

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.