Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Rejected baby, help!!!!

Alexjessop

Cavy Slave
About 5 days ago, my guinea pig smudge gave birth (we did not know she was pregnant). The other girl in her cage had just given birth to three gorgeous babies and they were fine- being looked after etc.
Anyway so I come downstairs to see a little newborn pup rolling around struggling to get up off the floor whilst being ignored by all the others (mum and aunt). I brought the little baby (Hope) out of the cage and into a little makeshift cage where I have been hand feeding her for five days (the vets gave me kitten milk replacement).

The baby is a lot healthier now, can walk around, gained some weight and generally just seems better but Hope seems lonely all by his/herself. All quiet in the cage in a corner- the second I get him/her out starts squeaking and walking around.

Would anyone recommend I put her back in the girls cage? If so do I carry on hand feeding her? Does she need anything else? Also how long/often to I have to feed her?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, I'd put the baby back.

I'd also stop the kitten milk if the pup is eating on its on. Kitten milk is a poor replacement for sow's milk, and really doesn't do much except hydrate the pup.

This thread is from September of last year. I'm sure the baby is fine by now.

Oops! Didn't notice the timestamp.

This thread is from September of last year. I'm sure the baby is fine by now.

The baby died unfortunately after 10 days, it was really sad. Thanks for replying to the post though

I'm so sorry. I must have missed that post somehow.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.