Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rumblestrutting Two male bonded guinea pigs since birth, fighting?

piggyyour

Cavy Gazer
My piggies names are Rick and Morty. Rick is the more adventurous, brave, and pushy type. Meanwhile, morty is the scared, less confident, skittish type. They have been bonded apparently since birth. I notice that morty tends to do a grumble strut whenever Rick gets close, but he will follow rick or go to him for security. They do seem to argue here and there... should I be worried? Is this normal?

piggyyour

Cavy Gazer
They also have 2 of everything, and a 2x4 c and c cage. They used to live in a much smaller cage (pet store cage) and shared everything before they started living with me. Could this also be a reason why?

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
It could be puberty. How old are the piggies? How long have they lived with you?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How old are they?

And if you've got a lot of furniture in that 2x4 cage, that could also contribute. Boars need a lot of room to be able to stay out of each other's faces.

piggyyour

Cavy Gazer
They're 10 or 11 months old.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd enlarge the cage and put in two or three fleece forests so they're not always in each other's line of sight. And pitch some furniture.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Rumble strutting is normal. Some pairs will do it all their life, some will only do it for a couple of weeks or months and then stop once they mature. Don't separate unless blood is drawn or one if getting bullied (blocked from food, for example) and/or is losing significant weight (50g+/a few ounces) because of it.

I wouldn't worry if I were you. Just let them be and they might calm down eventually.

Expanding a cage is never a bad idea. If you can do it, go for it. The bigger the better.

Novabean

Cavy Slave
I have a pair of boars that are just a year old now & they do this too. Chong usually is the one too do it the most and start it the most but they do it a bit then stop. Maybe once a week I hear a bit of higher pitch squeals that really draw my attention, so I watch but never any "violence" . I think that's just Cheech telling him he's had enough & they chill out.
Hope that helps, it sounds as if our boys are close in age & attitudes.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Novabean

Cavy Slave
P.S. Luv the names!! AS

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.