Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Does it matter what type of bedding we use?

Ccualumni

Cavy Slave
We like the fleece, but aren't very happy using it so far. We will need to buy some fitted fleece pieces, but for now are buying bedding at the store.

It all appears to be to be the same, so does the brand matter? We have been using mostly Kaytee brand since that is what Target and Petsmart sell.

We stopped using the kaytee brand food per the recommendations here, but I wasn't sure about the bedding.

Thank you

scoottie

Cavy Slave
The brand doesn't matter but the type does don't use pine or cedar or anything that has a sent to it lavender etc.

Ccualumni

Cavy Slave
Great. Thank you. It is the plain kind.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you're going to use store bought bedding, Carefresh is the best one to use.

stream26

Cavy Slave
I have a wooden cage and have put (broken link removed) mattress on the floor to stop it getting wet and damp. I put wood shaving on top and change it when it's damp or dirty. Their sleeping area I put loads of straw or thick shredded paper to keep them warm as well as their bed. Their hutch is outside so it's got insulating on the sides etc to keep them warm

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
If you dont want to pay alot for Carefresh, You can buy wood shavings as long as they are Aspen. Don't buy Cedar or Pine because your Pigs could develop a URI from it.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I like SoPhresh (crumbled paper litter) which you'll find at Petco. It is competitively priced and superb at controlling odor. The packaging says that it has baking soda in it, but I have never had an issue with my cavies' respiratory systems and I have been using it for at least 6 years. I use fleece in the cage but have a large litter box both in the loft and on the main level which has the litter covered with a layer of hay.

Mike221

Cavy Slave
We bought couple of fleece blankets at the local liquidation store.
They were like $5 a piece and they have different sizes at all times (200cmx120cm, 220cmx80cm)...
It fits great in to our 5x2 c&c cage.
Prices at any fabric store or ebay I remember were 10 times higher.
We are very happy with it. We change it once per week and there is no bad odor at all.
Of course we clean their poop couple of times per day.

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
I'd recommend Carefresh, but honestly, as long as it's not pine or cedar shavings or if it doesn't have a strong scent, it should be fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.