Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Breathing in pig poop

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
I havent seen any post that relates directly to the inhalation of air born feces so id like to know- is there any danger in keeping pigsin the same room you sleep in? Do u have any research i can look into in the subject? And if it is dangerous, how would you address the problem (keep in mind, even in an immaculate and clean bathroom there will be feces in the air. So certainly by a pig cage- where the urine and poo arent flushed every time - there will be feces in the air).

Shieme

Cavy Slave
I have a lot of allergies and migraines, I kept my piggie in my room for two months. She just recently moved into another room. I don't know any major problems or dangers. If you don't clean it, yeah. I did clean more because the urine smell. Now the noise... after my mom got sick it was hard for me to sleep. I suffer from insomnia but didn't have an issue sleeping with Shiemi in my room. Now I wait by the phone in case the hospital calls. Guinea pigs are not quite animals and they don't sleep for long periods of time. So be wary of the noise.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Mine have been in my room for 5 years and I'm fine :eek:

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
Ty shieme and glad to hear it.
Btw for anyone looking into it it seems that indeed its a problem (breathing in feces) for both the owner AND the pig. Fresh air, cleaning the bedding and an air filter can all help, but cant erase the problem completely. Especialy for the pig itself-its face is always near poop. Oh and make sure the water dsnt drip on the bedding . If u want to do more tesearch, it was suggested to me from my "fact source" to look into the OSHA and USDA guidlines for pets.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
I did say if you don't clean it yeah.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
My girls lived in my bedroom for 4 years with me while I was away in University and I never had any health issues. I have never heard of anyone (pigs or people) having any issues from breathing in feces from well kept guinea pigs.

If this was actually a problem wouldn't this be a huge epidemic in the pet world? People have been owning small caged animals for hundreds of years in their homes and not many seem to be having any significant respiratory distress over them.

Keep your pigs clean and in a well ventilated area and you will be fine.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
I keep my boys' cage in my room and quite close to where I sleep. Other than the unpleasant smell, which I've gone almost noseblind to, I have not developed any health problems because of the air. I think the only disadvantage to having guinea pigs in your room is that family members and friends won't want to come in/might complain about it no matter how frequently you clean their cage...or maybe this is only my case :)

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you have dust mite allergies, avoid it. Guinea pig cages increase the humidity in a room. Dust mite populations love the humidity and the dust. Dust mite allergies are one of the most common household allergies around. If you want to avoid developing allergies at all, keep guinea pigs out of your room. You are breathing in hay, dander, dust, etc, all night long.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
CavyTV, you funny!

CavySpirit, well said. I forgot about the hay allergies.

hbrens

Cavy Slave
I have an air purifier, and it helps alot with dust and allergens. :)

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.