Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Occasional sneezing and a bit of clear discharge from one nostril

JuliaBear

Cavy Gazer
2 weeks ago my guinea pig was sneezing more frequently and there was an instance where milky snot came out of his nose. I took him to the vet and they gave me an antibiotic called septra which I gave to him for a week. On the last few days of the medication, my piggy stopped pooping entirely and he ate and drank very little. I brought him to the vet again and they told me it might be the antibiotics messing up his digestive tract. I was told to feed him critical care, a probiotic and cisapride. My piggy seems to be eating normally now, but it's been 4 days and his poops are still kind of small and one of the ends looks tapered. In addition, he's sneezing occasionally now and there's a bit of clear discharge that comes out of his left nostril. Does anyone have any thoughts about what I should do? :(

Antibiotics are hard on guinea pig digestive tracts. Keeping them eating and drinking while they're on them is essential, and if they aren't doing it on their own, you need to do it for them. Very rarely have I seen an infection clear up in just 7 days, so he likely needs another course of antibiotics.

In addition, a probiotic such as Bene bac given an hour after the antibiotics will help in returning the digestive tract to state better able to digest food. But I would definitely say get him back to the vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.