Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Supplements Is it healthy to feed piggies National Geographic Hay Topper?

JuliaBear

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone,

I've noticed recently that my un-neutered male guinea pig (~3yrs old) is pooping out smaller poops with one tapered end. I'm reading that probiotics can help digestion. I came across this product: https://www.petsmart.ca/small-pet/f...pping-timothy-hay-small-pet-food-5219375.html (the one I actually purchased are basically just pellets mixed with a few rose hips). It says on the package that it contains "nutritious fiber supplement and a crunchy boost of probiotics, minerals and stabilized vitamin C, while the rose hips provide a tasty treat." Is this something I can feed to my piggies on a regular basis to get them to be healthier?

Many thanks from a newbie piggie owner!

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Assuming you're in the US, the very best pellets you can feed your pigs are KMS Hayloft (available only online) and Oxbow.

That hay you linked to is incredibly expensive, and you should be able to order it online for much cheaper, or find it from a local farmer for much cheaper still.

What exactly are you feeding him? What pellets, and how many? What hay? Which veggies, and how many of each?

JuliaBear

Cavy Gazer
I'm feeding them oxbow pellets on a daily basis, but the package of hay toppers I purchased are just pellets (with probiotics/minerals, etc) with a few rose hips thrown in. The package instructions say to pour a tablespoon on top of their hay every day but I'm not super familiar with 'hay toppers' so I'm not sure if this is actually good for my pigs.

I'm feeding them timothy hay, a cup of pellets (2 pigs in the cage) and veggies (lettuce, cucumbers) but one of my pigs seem to have smaller looking poops lately.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

JuliaBear

Cavy Gazer
Oh and vitamin C drops in their water bottle*

Are hay toppers a healthy extra thing to give them?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Vitamin C drops in the the water bottle are useless. Vitamin C in liquid form in the presence of light degrades very quickly, and within a short time after you've put the drops in the bottle, all you've got is funny tasting water which the pigs may not drink.

You can give the drops with a syringe, but the most effective way to give vitamin C is in veggies rich in it. Bell pepper is excellent, and you'll find some others on that chart.

Hay toppers are a waste of money. The pigs may like them, but they won't add anything in the way of healthy food items to their diets.

JuliaBear

Cavy Gazer
I have trouble feeding them the pellet vitamin C supplements so I gave up on that. My piggies are in a room where there is a curtain over the window, is that still too much light for the vitamin C?

ryliem

Cavy Slave
My Guinea Pig is suspicious of his food if it doesn't smell/taste like his vitamin C supplement. I found that if you start with the vitamin C, continue with it. The change might throw them off. Their pellets are the best place to put the supplement. The overall best is veggies high in vitamin C and low in sugars.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
ANY light is too much for vitamin C in water. It's completely useless to give it that way, in addition to being a waste of money.

What's wrong with veggies?

BeckieL

Cavy Slave
also, not to pile on, but the drops have a strong taste and smell. I used them for a few days before I could get my pig to start eating peppers and I noticed that his water consumption went WAY down when the drops were in his water. I really think the piggies would much prefer clean, fresh tasting water and delicious veggies they love that also contain vitamin C. :)

JuliaBear

Cavy Gazer
Okay, thanks for all of the information everyone! :D

Is it okay to feed the piggies green peppers everyday?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Not only OK, but preferred.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.