Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General What is my guinea pig breed? I have searched all over and can't figure it out!

crystalshell

Cavy Slave
So I have a female cavy, who's name is Luna. I've had her for over a year and yet can't figure out her exact breed! she has short smooth straight hair. Her head is divided into three colours but they aren't exactly block colours, except for the middle. All around her neck, and it goes above her nose all the way into between the ears (like a stripe). On one side it's a black colour but with little bits of red, as if the black is covering the red hair. And on the other side, it's similar but a lot more red. She also has patches of white red and black all over her body. All her feet hair colour is white. At first I thought she was an american breed, but then read about the dutch breed which looks a lot more like her, except it's supposed to be that both sides of her face should be the same colour and her ears aren't droopy/low at all. I read her colour is a tortoise shell with white. Could a dutch breed be that colour? I am quite confused :confused::( I would love it if you could help!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It would be a lot easier to tell if you'd post a picture.

crystalshell

Cavy Slave
here is my guinea pig, not sure if these pics are the best since she's sleeping. hope this helps!

What is my guinea pig breed? I have searched all over and can't figure it out!

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
She looks like an American Shorthair/ Tri-Colored guinea pig. May I ask what kind of cage you use for her? Don't really wanna jump to conclusions, but it does look like a pet store cage. See the main page of this site to find out what the minimum cage sizes are for guinea pigs. A lot of people don't know, but pet store cages are actually way too small for even one guinea pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.